Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes Vampire (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9146)

tbzep 04-30-2011 11:15 PM

Estes Vampire

Finally finished my Estes Vampire clone. I waited several months to catch a Jinx on eBay. I waited several more weeks to get decent painting weather. I noticed some dust issues with the paint due to the breezy day, so I sanded it down a little and waited several more weeks to get another decent day to repaint.

The original had stick on decals. I used images in AcroRay's thread as a basis to make my own body tube decal and I used his fin decal file with a slight change in the red color to suit my taste. I printed the decals on Avery full sheet label paper. I sprayed Krylon Crystal Clear UV on them to protect from moisture.

Mark II 05-01-2011 12:29 AM

Wow, a rocket from way back in the past that looks like... it hasn't aged a bit. Very odd. What could explain that? :confused:

Seriously, nice job! That's quite an interesting project to take on, too. I guess some RTFs just can't be killed so easily. ;) But why would anyone clone an RTF, something from the Levittown of rocketry? Because every once in awhile, one comes along that actually has some style? (The Vampire does have style, but of course, no soul. :eek: )

Thanks (I think) for bring this one back from the grave. [Looks around nervously.] This could be the start of a whole new sub-discipline: revenant RTFs!

Fangs for the post.

Leo 05-01-2011 01:16 AM

That turned out real nice

tbzep 05-01-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Wow, a rocket from way back in the past that looks like... it hasn't aged a bit. Very odd. What could explain that? :confused:

Seriously, nice job! That's quite an interesting project to take on, too. I guess some RTFs just can't be killed so easily. ;) But why would anyone clone an RTF, something from the Levittown of rocketry? Because every once in awhile, one comes along that actually has some style? (The Vampire does have style, but of course, no soul. :eek: )

Thanks (I think) for bring this one back from the grave. [Looks around nervously.] This could be the start of a whole new sub-discipline: revenant RTFs!

Fangs for the post.

I can't decide whether to say "thanks", or come after you with a pair of Vice-Grips and give you a super purple nurple. :p

Mark II 05-01-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I can't decide whether to say "thanks", or come after you with a pair of Vice-Grips and give you a super purple nurple. :p
Yeah, but just in case it's the latter, you should know that I'm armed with some silver chains and a squirt gun containing holy water.

AcroRay 05-01-2011 10:27 PM

Very nice! I think you nailed it. :D

Sorry I didn't post a proper file for the BT label. Now that I've located all of the elements again, I'll have to post them somewhere or pass them along. :cool:

ghrocketman 05-02-2011 08:56 AM

Looks great !
Now display it next to a Banshee and X-15 from the "firing line" RTF rockets of the early-mid 70's.

tbzep 05-02-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Looks great !
Now display it next to a Banshee and X-15 from the "firing line" RTF rockets of the early-mid 70's.

That's a bit tougher to accomplish. :eek:

snaquin 05-02-2011 10:25 PM

Great job with this one and the decals look sharp!

Vampire is one cool little rocket. Reminds me of the Goblin.

AcroRay 05-03-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Looks great !

I saved the images from a recent eBay sale of a carded Banshee. It only has a body tube decal (no fins) and looks rather like an Estes Firestreak, I think. It probably wouldn't be too hard to whip up a decal for it as well. Humn......