Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Estes Astro-Launch controller (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16733)

JohnNGA 07-19-2017 03:54 PM

Estes Astro-Launch controller

2 Attachment(s)
The Astro-Launch controller appeared in the 64 catalog..and it was high on my want list. I recently acquired some NOS/OEM switches and pilot lights that were used by Estes/Centuri in their controllers. So, here's my attempt at recreating that siren call of the early 60's. I have never seen a real one, but I'm guessing it came out of the "wood shop". Centuri EP-612 not quite finished.

stefanj 07-20-2017 08:50 AM

Those both look great.

I love those black crinkle-finish cases.

Doug Sams 07-20-2017 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the subject of Estes launch controllers, here's another early one. We bought it so we could launch using the car battery. The D-cells were always dead in the Electro Launch pad/controller combo that came with our starter set, so we added this setup some time later around 1970 or 71.

Doug

LeeR 07-20-2017 11:57 PM

I never got much use out of my Electro-Launch pad. I just never seemed to have enough extra money to buy batteries for it. All cash was earmarked for parts and motors.

We eventually built our own controllers to use with a car battery. If we rode our bikes to go fly at rockets, it was Jetex fuse to light the motors.

BEC 07-21-2017 12:29 AM

John - nice work!

Lee and others: The Electro-Launch works just beautifully wth 4 modern alkaline D-cells in it (as long as you can give it a flat place to sit). I picked up two of them off of eBay a few years ago and completed the one (it had never been finished and it launched its first rocket in its 49th year) and refurbished the second and I bring them out for the "classics" themed September club launch each year (and occasionally at other times).

I also bring out one of those Launch Control Systems (Doug's post) and an Astron system (the Launch Control System's successor). We use the latter with my original Tilt-a-pad and an early Porta-Pad (also an eBay acquisition). I think this year I'll add in one of the R2D2-shaped launch controllers that came with the Star Wars sets in the 1990s.

I sometimes aspire to the controller John has cloned but haven't worked up what it would take to do that (or a wood-cased Electro-Launch).

stefanj 07-21-2017 08:50 AM

If someone made a "wood Electro Launch and controller" kit, maybe from laser cut bits, I'd buy it.

JohnNGA 07-21-2017 03:47 PM

Wood Electro-Launch

3 Attachment(s)
With a lot of help from Vern, Ted Mahler and the MOF I was able to come up with a pretty good replica, throw in the Scout and you have the 1963 starter kit.

mwtoelle 07-21-2017 04:00 PM

But do you have the vintage pre-metric motors that would have been supplied at the time? ;)

Doug Sams 07-21-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
With a lot of help from Vern, Ted Mahler and the MOF I was able to come up with a pretty good replica, throw in the Scout and you have the 1963 starter kit.
I was just thinking of Ted. I remember him showing off his wooden Electro Launch at a DARS event several years ago.

Doug

JohnNGA 07-21-2017 04:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure what year they made the the change, 1967 catalog shows only lb-sec. That would be my earliest motors. I don't believe "Mabel 2" came online until fall of that year...so I'm hoping these are some of "Mabel 1's" offerings.