Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Rocket Boosted Gliders (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Need Help Identifying This Glider (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16708)

LeeR 07-03-2017 10:51 PM

Need Help Identifying This Glider ... SOLVED!

1 Attachment(s)
I received this glider from a friend years ago. It had a broken spar, which I fixed, and I'm ready to trim it out. I've looked thru lots of catalogs on Ninfinger and Estes websites, so I could ultimately find instructions, but so far, it eludes me. I thought it was the Tercel but the Tercel has a more complex wing. This does use 13 mm motors.

Thanks!

UPDATE:
Dragon Fly! Someone on the NAR FB page identified it. This thing is old!

jeffyjeep 07-04-2017 08:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I've built a few of these over the years--all of which "The Vixen" painted by hand. The red/yellow/orange scheme is the same as the kit's face card.

I have an extra Dragonfly decal if you need it.

LeeR 07-04-2017 11:24 AM

jeffyjeep,

That looks great! What kind of paint did your wife use? I was going to experiment with some thinned, hand-brushed Createx. I bought dozens of bottles to use with an airbrush. That was about 10 years ago. Maybe when I'm in my 70s and have a little more time. (Gawd, that's only 5 years from now...)

I appreciate the offer of a decal. I'll PM my address to you. I've got something little to send to you for your generosity. I'll just look for your return address on the envelope.

Thanks!

Dewalt 07-04-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I've built a few of these over the years--all of which "The Vixen" painted by hand. The red/yellow/orange scheme is the same as the kit's face card.

Wow the face card scheme is top notch as well as the others !

jeffyjeep 07-04-2017 09:55 PM

Thanks! I'll inform "The Vixen".

ghrocketman 07-07-2017 08:46 AM

I have one of those with the 'stock' paint scheme as well.
Flies great.

LeeR 07-07-2017 09:46 AM

I've done a little experimenting with light weight finishes. I tried ink first, since I had a big bottle of green ink from my fountain pen days. Went on pretty well, but if you try to cover an entire span, like a wing, then it looks splotchy where glue has dried, like at joints. It's also so thin that masking areas to color won't prevent seepage. For this type of marking, I'm guessing colored markers are the way to go.

The next test was thinned Createx. This worked really well. My first test was maybe not thinned enough, it was still more like applying paint than a stain. I'll thin some even further and try again.

Dewalt 07-07-2017 03:10 PM

Once you get this dressed in color ,
I expect to see some markings done with a "Leroy Lettering Set" ;)

jeffyjeep 07-07-2017 03:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Of all the Dragonfies I've built, "The Vixen" has always finished them with water-based paints.

As for this Holverson Designs Silver Hawk B/G, I painted the pop pod with enamels but she colored the flying wing glider exclusively with markers. The glider weighed the same before and after coloring.

I miss HD kits (sometimes.)

LeeR 07-10-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewalt
Once you get this dressed in color ,
I expect to see some markings done with a "Leroy Lettering Set" ;)

Haha, if I had the set I used so much, I might just do that. Back in the days of recording your favorite music onto cassettes, I actually labelled them with the Leroy tool. I'd forgotten about that. Just a tad OCD ... :)