Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Ask the Doctor (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Estes future? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4514)

CJU 01-15-2009 07:02 PM

Estes future?

There is a discussion going on over at the RC Groups about a new airplane release from Estes. The designer of that particular model frequently posts there, and said this...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...86&postcount=76

Quote:
Just checking in, I am the guy who designed this model for Estes and it is in fact a 27mhz 3 channel model. There are 2 actuators and quite a bit of time has gone into the development to make it a nice flyer. As far as putting estes back on the map for planes, dont count on it. Estes has let go all of their designers and R&D people and most everyone else-including me and they are getting out of the flying toy market. This will be the last hurrah as far as product goes so enjoy it while you can. Estes as company may not be aroung much longer.

We've seen what Estes has planned for 2009 with the classic series (at least from the rocketry people). Cox Models is blowing out their inventory Anyone out there have any insight on what is going on? Or are they just blowing out of the toy rc market to go back to being a rocket company?

Chris

STRMan 01-15-2009 07:35 PM

I can't imagine they would be discontinuing their rocketry lineup AND re-releasing the A8-0 and A10-0T. The guy sounds like a disgruntled blowhard.

kelltym88 01-15-2009 07:50 PM

I would say that with the planned release of all the classic kits and new motors, not to mention the fact that Custom rockets has 7 new kits, 2 of which are 13mm, (IIRC a large portion of Estes profit comes from their motor sales) it seems Estes is shedding the un-necessary things and going back to what works: Rockets. This is merely my opinion. But think about it, with the economy the way it is, people being laid off and jobs being lost, businesses are going to make sure they stick with what works, or they won't be around much longer. Estes seems to be heading in that direction...

bob jablonski 01-16-2009 09:02 AM

I talked to the folks at ihobby and they were working on pulling out of the "Made In China".
They said it would take a year or so to totaly change back to totaly "Made in USA". We didn't
talk about Cox. But with all the cheap Made in China planes and Heli's I would think the market is over saturated and can not be cost competitive with American made planes.I may be wrong on this but it would make sense.
Mr. Bob
Starlight dude
www.starlightrocketry.com

Shreadvector 01-16-2009 09:15 AM

The "made in USA" plan certainly sounds like it might be real. Especially combined with what I hinted at in another thread.

Estes 're-born' with made in USA products would certainly have a lot of appeal - as long as the prices are competitive. And since there are not any real nationwide competitors we are talking about competition for toy/hobby money/sales/shelf-space in general. If the packaging on the toy store shelf can explain clearly to the consumer what they are getting (cool flying model rocket) and why it is superior to some other nearby toy on the shelf (made in USA, contains no dangerous/evil chemicals/elements being screamed about on the news), they will get the sales.

2009 could be a good year. Things change. They are running a business and must adapt.

Rocketflyer 01-16-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
The "made in USA" plan certainly sounds like it might be real. Especially combined with what I hinted at in another thread.

[snip]

2009 could be a good year. Things change. They are running a business and must adapt.

What did they say when you called them? :p :D

kelltym88 01-16-2009 01:04 PM

Ha Ha Ha Ha :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

ghrocketman 01-16-2009 01:24 PM

Touche' to Rocketflyer :D

Shreadvector 01-16-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
What did they say when you called them? :p :D

I did not need to call them. ;)

Gingerdawg 01-16-2009 02:17 PM

They called you?!?!? :rolleyes: