Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vintage Estes Black Hole Probe Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17541)

scigs30 10-09-2018 11:12 PM

Vintage Estes Black Hole Probe Build

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my next vintage build that I will start in the next couple of days, should be fun.

ghrocketman 10-09-2018 11:47 PM

Should be fun.
Fly it with the display nozzle in place.
I always did that with the BBIII and Satellite Interceptor.

MarkB. 10-10-2018 07:37 AM

Comrade:

Get a bigger 'chute. I'm finishing one now and it's a sled. There's just no way to do twelve rings, twelve fins and nine dowels in a lightweight manner. I'm probably going to use a 15" Mylar.

scigs30 10-10-2018 08:34 AM

I will have to see how close the weight comes in when she is built. Since I use Acrylic Lacquers an Brodak sealer and no primer, my builds come out pretty light.

chrism 10-10-2018 01:54 PM

Never had one but always liked this rocket. It was reported that Disney did not like the design. Estes should bring this one back but name it something else!

sandman 10-10-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
Never had one but always liked this rocket. It was reported that Disney did not like the design. Estes should bring this one back but name it somethings else!

I doubt Disney would let them get away with it without royalty payments.

The company I represented years ago had a cycling lighting dimmer they called the Maypo dimmer.

While on a repair trip to Disney World a company tech was asked why they called it the Maypo dimmer.

He told them that the dimmer was designed originally for the Mary Poppins exhibit.

My company received a cease and desist order from Disney's attornies 3 days later.

Disney has NO sence of humor.

tbzep 10-10-2018 11:06 PM

My son scratch built one when we were on our great building spree about a decade ago. It came out really nice. Best I can remember, he used some Semroc rings and a Pencil NC. Everything else was scratch. I may be wrong on the NC source, but it's the only thing I can think of right now that was in production that used the Black Brant III nose cone. I don't recall turning a nose cone for it.

Initiator001 10-10-2018 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
Never had one but always liked this rocket. It was reported that Disney did not like the design. Estes should bring this one back but name it something else!

The Estes Black Hole Space Probe kit was an original Estes design and not subject to any Disney oversight.

The design for Cygnus Probe Ship was the model that Disney did not like and Estes ended up cancelling that kit.

I think this is covered in the 'Ask Mike Dorffler' thread.

chrism 10-11-2018 03:03 PM

Thanks for the clarification Bob! I still would like Estes to bring this one back!

LeeR 10-11-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Here is my next vintage build that I will start in the next couple of days, should be fun.

A friend flew a big upscale at NARAM, 5.5” tube as I recall. I did not get a picture, but I’ll look for it. He posted on one of the FB group pages, probably the NAR page. Very cool, a K550 as I recall.

By the way, I got my Brodak sanding sealer. I’ve only got two coats on a nose cone, but so far I like the way it goes on, and it sands very nicely.