Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes Vagabond completed!!!! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9143)

jspitza 04-30-2011 02:06 PM

Estes Vagabond completed!!!!

Thanks to all at YORF for your speedy advice:could not have done this without you! Take care, Jeff

chrism 04-30-2011 06:38 PM

Nice build Jeff!!

jspitza 04-30-2011 07:33 PM

Thank you Chris!

JumpJet 04-30-2011 08:05 PM

Nice job on the build.

This kit,, one of Dorfflers last four designs brings back the PNC 60RL nose cone which hasn't been available for MANY, MANY years. I'ts gong to be used on another kit instroduced to the hobby next week.

John Boren

johnnwwa 04-30-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Nice job on the build.

This kit,, one of Dorfflers last four designs brings back the PNC 60RL nose cone which hasn't been available for MANY, MANY years. I'ts gong to be used on another kit instroduced to the hobby next week.

John Boren

Here is a listing of the kits that used the PNC60RL.

P/N 072305, PNC-60RL (Blow Molded)
Kit Number Kit Name
1987 Sentinel
1998 Mega Sizz'
2014 Firehawk
2029 Raven
2032 Magnum
2037 National Aerospace Plane
2127 Sizzler

Very Nice Vagabond
John

jspitza 05-01-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:
Nice job on the build.

John Boren

Thanks guys!:
John, you mentioned that this NC was not used in quite some time. The NC that came with the kit was horribly formed and reminded me of very old 1950's molds running amuck. Other than that the kit was perfect in every way. Take care and thanks for the info, Jeff

Initiator001 05-01-2011 01:22 PM

Looks good, Jeff!

I am building a Vagabond kit and had a few questions for you.

Did you find the balsa used for the fins to be very dense/hard?

What brand/color of orange paint did you use?

Thanks.

jspitza 05-01-2011 02:20 PM

Thanks Bob!

Yes, very hard wood in my kit too but I had no problems because I tend to dent softer woods.
I used Krylon indoor\outdoor pumpkin spice I'm not kidding........ :eek: pumpkin spice, Bob. Krylon Matt clear then sealed everything up to give her a satin finish.

HTHs, Jeff

Bill 05-01-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Will the Super Neon XL also be using this cone when you phase out the balsa part? I had always thought the PNC-60RL resembles the shape of the BT-50 cone of the regular Super Neon kit more than the balsa cone it originally included.

Bill

JumpJet 05-02-2011 12:17 AM

The upscale of the Super Neon XL was something I did several years ago during my first stay at Estes. The PNC-60RL was the cone I used for my prototype. Before the kit came out I was let go and I had nothing further to do with it and the model ended up with the shorter cone you now have in the kit. I don't have much control over what goes on when it comes to swapping out balsa cones with plastic ones so I can't tell you what the outcome is going to be.

John Boren