Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   WOOSH News (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   WOOSH Anti-Rocket Challenge - June 11, 2011! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9150)

vdopro 05-02-2011 03:36 PM

WOOSH Anti-Rocket Challenge - June 11, 2011!

Do you love rockets? Do you love destruction? Are you tired of the same old rocket competitions? Then we've got just the thing for you: The WOOSH AntiRocket Challenge!

Loosely inspired by the Antimov Competition for Robotics, the WOOSH Anti-Rocket Challenge challenges you to design a rocket which goes against the spirit of traditional rocketry (except for endangering humans or damaging property, of course) for the sheer stupidity of the endeavor.

An amateur rocket is traditionally designed to perform the seemingly scientific task of delivering a payload to a specified altitude as efficiently as possible and returning both payload and rocket safely to the ground. (By the way, flying a payload of air as high as the motor will take it actually FITS this traditional design parameter.)

However, building a competent and efficient rocket that completes its task unharmed is SO last year.

We want you to build a rocket that does the following instead:

1. Performs a trivial, non-scientific task involving at least one non-traditional rocketry item in the most inefficient and laborious way possible;

2. Supports an overall theme that is related to the trivial, non-scientific task;

3. Destroys itself in the process of performing the trivial, non-scientific task, but not in any manner that violates the rocketry safety code or any local, state or federal laws. The rule of thumb is that the rocket can NOT be immediately reloaded and flown again without substantial effort upon completion of the trivial, non-scientific task.

We ultimately wanted a competition that focuses less on rocket science and engineering abilities and more on creative ingenuity and blatant, humorous frivolity.

Rules (This is an incomplete list and is subject to change):

1. Safety is paramount. A violation of any part of the rocketry safety code or any local, state or federal laws will be grounds for immediate disqualification.
2. The rocket must complete at least one trivial, non-scientific task involving at least one non-traditional rocketry item.
3. Optional (but strongly recommended): The rocket should be part of an overall theme that is related to the trivial, non-scientific task.
4. Upon completion of the trivial, non-scientific task, the rocket should render itself non-flyable and in a condition that it can NOT be immediately reloaded and flown again without substantial effort.
5. The rocket may use any prop, structure, or external device that can be safely placed in, and removed from, the launch area.
6. All rockets will be given three chances to complete their launch.

Scoring: Challenge scoring will be based on the set four criteria listed below. Each criterion is 25 points for a possible total of 100 points. All scoring is pari-mutuel – in other words, all contestants score all other contestants. Final score for each contestant is an average of all scores received.

1. Inefficiency (0-25 points) – Base on the inefficiency and laborious nature of the task as well as the complexity of the non-traditional nature of the item involved. Inefficiency coupled with complexity is to be rewarded!

2. Frivolity (0-25 points) – The pointlessness of the entire affair. The more frivolous and humorous, the more points received.

3. Theme (0-25) points) – The thematic element of the presentation. For this criteria, showmanship and window dressing matter.

4. Destruction (0-25 points) - The completeness the rocket's self-destruction as well as the evil, twisted creativity behind its demise. An ugly, horrible death means a much higher the score.

Prohibited Items:

* Firearms or lethal weaponry of any kind
* Explosives and pyrotechnics outside of traditional rocketry devices and materials
* Corrosive or flammable liquids or gases
* High-powered lasers
* Anything that endangers the safety of bystanders or property of others

Prizes: Trophies, bragging rights and the adulation of your fellow rocketeers

Date: Saturday, June 11, 2011 (Rain date: Sunday, June 12)

Time:
Registration begins at 10AM, Flights must be completed by 3PM. Presentations are at 4PM

Rex R 05-02-2011 04:09 PM

a suggestion, starting a grass fire should(Imo) carry a hefty penelty.
rex

ECayemberg 05-17-2011 02:19 PM

I try to make it to at least one Woosh launch a year; and with Marc's crazy competition it looks like this will be it. I've been planning my project for some time and will try to post a few construction photos as progress commences. I'm not going to spill the beans completely, but here's a few hints and teasers.

Theme: For those that fly regularly at Bong, you are aware that we rocket people are not the only inhabitants of the launching area, whether it be the runway or Lot E, etc. There are others that have become much more prominent, aggressive, and some may even say invasive in the last few years. Well, this project is devoted to those lovely inhabitants. Project name D** P***** D************. Fellow Bong mates will likely figure out the first two words.

Components: Keeping with the theme of mass destruction (while fully adhering to Safety Rules), I've come up with a fairly complex project based on standard Semroc, Flis, and Estes Parts. Here are a few highlights:

-(20) 24mm motors
-3 Stages
-20 separate pieces being safely recovered per Safety Rules
-One single piece of BT-80 airframe
-16 pieces of BT-60 airframe
-8 nose cones
-15 parachutes

This should be interesting...certainly not my largest rocket but certainly complex, and most definitely rediculous!

-Eric-

mycrofte 05-17-2011 03:16 PM

hmmm.... I have a few thoughts already!

Bill 05-17-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECayemberg
Components: Keeping with the theme of mass destruction (while fully adhering to Safety Rules), I've come up with a fairly complex project based on standard Semroc, Flis, and Estes Parts. Here are a few highlights:

-(20) 24mm motors
-3 Stages
-20 separate pieces being safely recovered per Safety Rules
-One single piece of BT-80 airframe
-16 pieces of BT-60 airframe
-8 nose cones
-15 parachutes

This should be interesting...certainly not my largest rocket but certainly complex, and most definitely rediculous!

Holy Pikadon, Batman...I hope there will be people hiding behind their cameras when that one is launched.

Bill

vdopro 05-18-2011 10:02 AM

Eric,

Sounds like a fun idea - and one that is destined to go horribly wrong ... which is a good thing! Can't wait to see it.

Marc

Sather 05-24-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECayemberg
This should be interesting...certainly not my largest rocket but certainly complex, and most definitely ridiculous!

Sounds like a fun, ambitious, challenging, and slightly deranged project. I'm coming to Bong just to see what you came up with, Eric.

P.S. Comparatively, my entry is very simple. And it involves a Jayhawk.

Sather

ECayemberg 05-27-2011 07:56 AM

Sather, I can't believe you're basing your project on a Jayhawk :chuckle: . Looking forward to your creativity!

Two weeks out, time to start building something! Photobucket failed to upload some of the desired photos :( , but here's a couple anyway. I used a combination of Zap medium CA for tacking and Titebond for filleting. Beauty on this project is not important, functionality...or rather disfunctionality is critical.

Let's start with motor mounts: 16 of the 20 D motors require BT-60 to BT-50 motor mounts. This amounts to a stack of 32 Centering Rings courtesy of Semroc (a few less shown here as I had already constructed two baseline mounts.)

First mounts to be built are the fin boosters: four mounts that direct stage to the fin sustainers. A masking tape thrust ring on the aft end prevents the motor from passing through the mount. The mounts shown below mount into the 2.75" long BT-60 w/ coupler in the background.

After the mounts were glued into the fin booster airframes, these subassemblies were complete. On to the mounts for the fin sustainers. Same as the fin boosters, only with a engine block on the forward end and the aft CR slid forward a ways to clear the BT-60 coupler. Here the mounts are complete with the exception of the thrust rings. Each mount was matched up with a specific booster and airframe to assure proper fit.

The sustainer mount was placed on top of the booster mount, thrust ring glued in place using a stack of D12's as spacers.

Mounts were glued into the fin sustainer airframes and allowed to dry.

ECayemberg 05-27-2011 08:09 AM

Pheasant Phins

It's only 10:30 pm, plenty of time to cut some fins. I started with 3/16" x 6" balsa stock. Sized and printed appropriately sized pheasants for fins. The phins are sized slightly larger than the pheasants; I was originally going to cut the fins out to the exact profile of the bird; however in the interest of time I've gone to straight edged fins with impending black background.

Phour phins were phreed to phit the pheasants.

Pheasant phins phitted to the airphrame for photobucket YORPH phorum posting.

The phins will be phixed to the sustainer (brown) airframe using titebond initially, then glassed in place using epoxy and 4 oz glass...same as I've used for monocopters that phly in a similar phasion.

Phiberglassing of the phins to take place in the next phew days.

-Eric-

Sather 05-27-2011 08:55 AM

Phew.....!