Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes Astron Farside X (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17440)

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-09-2018 08:52 PM

Estes Astron Farside X

1 Attachment(s)
Might be an incorrect use of "Astron", but I don't care. ;) With any luck, this joins the flight parade on Saturday. Rain is in the forecast, but we all know the name of that tune. I did it in the paint scheme on the back of the 1966 Estes Catalog like Chas did a few years back, but I went with a couple of vintage decals instead of the wrap on the payload section. Lousy pic. I took it with an Ipad, but you can get the general idea. Funny thing, when I took this pic, I wanted to turn it around so that you couldn't see the launch lug. I needn't have bothered. I forgot to put one on it. :chuckle:

Commanche3 08-09-2018 09:14 PM

Stickers look great. Did you print those?

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-09-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanche3
Stickers look great. Did you print those?

I did the Estes logo. The wrap was a Thrustline oldie that I've had for ten years. The Estes logo was from this sheet: http://www.rocketshoppe.com/decals/...kings_decal.pdf

BEC 08-09-2018 11:46 PM

There were three Farside-Xs entered in Classic Model at NARAM-60....so we should see them all fly tomorrow...

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-10-2018 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
There were three Farside-Xs entered in Classic Model at NARAM-60....so we should see them all fly tomorrow...

Mmmmm, pics. ;)

BEC 08-10-2018 08:41 AM

It’s funny, but I haven’t been taking many pictures (there are LOTS of cameras around besides my iPhone) but I will see if I can get some shots of these at the range today. Gotta get off the computer, pur my shoes on and get out there right now.... :)

Doug Sams 08-10-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Might be an incorrect use of "Astron", but I don't care. ;) With any luck, this joins the flight parade on Saturday. Rain is in the forecast, but we all know the name of that tune. I did it in the paint scheme on the back of the 1966 Estes Catalog like Chas did a few years back, but I went with a couple of vintage decals instead of the wrap on the payload section. Lousy pic. I took it with an Ipad, but you can get the general idea. Funny thing, when I took this pic, I wanted to turn it around so that you couldn't see the launch lug. I needn't have bothered. I forgot to put one on it. :chuckle:
Bill,

That looks great to me ! I like that paint scheme.

One of these days, we should drag race :)

Doug

tbzep 08-10-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

C6 or C11 mod for first stage?

BTW, I think I'm beginning to notice a pattern regarding you and launch lugs. :p

Doug Sams 08-10-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
C6 or C11 mod for first stage?
I wondered that, too. Looking at the pic, it's a bit fuzzy, but it looks like there's a BT-20 motor tube sticking out, so I'm thinking C6-0, or maybe something vintage, if Bill has any B8-0's or B14-0's.

In fact, the lack of a strong 18mm booster, such as the B8 or B14, is why I built mine for using 24mm motors in the 1st stage. I think I've only ever flown it once, maybe twice, but the C11-0 got it off the rod with authority :)

Quote:
BTW, I think I'm beginning to notice a pattern regarding you and launch lugs.
As for the launch lug, I assume Bill just has it out of view of the camera :)

Doug

GuyNoir 08-10-2018 05:41 PM

Flew mine in the 1966 paint scheme today in the NARAM 60 Classic Model event. B6-0 / B6-0 /A8-5. Worked great even in the high winds we had later in the day.