Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vintaqe Estes Falcon Commander Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17490)

scigs30 09-05-2018 05:35 PM

Vintaqe Estes Falcon Commander Build

3 Attachment(s)
Building has slowed down because of a busy summer, but I am back at it with the Falcon Commander. The kit comes with 2 parachutes but the plans only call for one chute.

ghrocketman 09-05-2018 06:36 PM

This one never did anything for me.
Swept forward wings on ANYTHING in a word, suck.

DeanHFox 09-06-2018 12:07 AM

Falcon Commanders

1 Attachment(s)
I think the Falcon Commander is a cool design...so I upscaled it to 29mm power. Here it poses with its little brother (original scale) and the rocket room mascot. :)

Initiator001 09-06-2018 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
I think the Falcon Commander is a cool design...so I upscaled it to 29mm power. Here it poses with its little brother (original scale) and the rocket room mascot. :)

That is cool. :cool:

I may have to build my Falcon Commander kit (Someday.... :rolleyes: )

ghrocketman 09-06-2018 07:25 AM

I like Dean's mascot far more than the rockets in that pic.

DeanHFox 09-06-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I like Dean's mascot far more than the rockets in that pic.
Thanks, GH. He's not as "Rocketry Related" as Stanton Ewert's "LGAD" (Little Green Alien Dude), but he's part of the family and projects the appropriate 'tude. :)

LeeR 09-06-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
This one never did anything for me.
Swept forward wings on ANYTHING in a word, suck.

In general, I agree. This one is not as bad as some. But I know what I’d do — flip the forward swept “tips” around and make them swept back fins/wings.

L3Excalibur 09-07-2018 10:42 PM

Forward swpt fins

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
In general, I agree. This one is not as bad as some. But I know what I’d do — flip the forward swept “tips” around and make them swept back fins/wings.

I have to say I LIKE a lot of the forward swept designs. The original Estes Starship Excalibur free plan is one of my favorite all-time designs.

ANd I apologize for the slightly off topic post.

Buzz

ghrocketman 09-08-2018 01:58 AM

The Starship Excalibur is about the only one I do like with forward swept fins.

sandman 09-08-2018 09:36 AM

I have a particular affection for the Falcon Commander.

It was my daughter's first rocket. I was skeptical when she picked it out because I thought it looked a little difficult for a 7 year old.

I was wrong...her model came out just beautiful.

She desperately wanted to fly it when finished but it was a windy day. I tried to talk her out of it but she started to cry so I relented.

It flew beautifully but the wind carried it to a power line...more tears, "Daddy get it down for me!"

It was a trunk line :( , more electricity than I wanted to deal with. :confused:
So I grabbed my wrist rocket sling shot and marched over to where the rocket hung on a power line.

I picked up a stone from the gravel road and shot...missed by 3 or 4 feet...You should have seen the look of disgust on my daughter's face. She was PO'D!

I grabbed another stone for a second shot and POW!!!! I hit the plastic loop on the nose cone, broke it off and the model fell straight down.

My daughter stopped crying. :)

She still has it (I saved it for her) she's 46 now.