Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Centuri Python Fighter (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=295)

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-18-2005 08:28 PM

Centuri Python Fighter

I've got a couple of these nose cones lying around and this sounds like a unique project. Anyone have the plans and scans handy?

rmmcdaniell 07-18-2005 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I've got a couple of these nose cones lying around and this sounds like a unique project. Anyone have the plans and scans handy?

<P>
Very rare, I've never even seen one go up on ebay.

EchoVictor 09-01-2005 11:55 AM

...Bump...

I just got my hands on a couple of PNC-50 cones, and I'm itching to make one of these. I've got the other two original kits (Attack Craft Orion and Manta Bomber) that use this cone, and I think it would be cool to complete the set.

Anybody have any leads?

Thanks,
EV

Eagle3 09-01-2005 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
...Bump...

I just got my hands on a couple of PNC-50 cones, and I'm itching to make one of these. I've got the other two original kits (Attack Craft Orion and Manta Bomber) that use this cone, and I think it would be cool to complete the set.

Anybody have any leads?

Thanks,
EV

Attack Craft Orion is in the "To Do" stack. I'm going to try and knock out the rest of the plans that need processing next week. The Manta Bomber plans are available at Jimz.

Arley Davis 09-01-2005 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also would like to find the plans for the Centuri #5358 Python Fighter This rocket came out in 1983 the same year Estes and Centuri merged, That’s probably way the kit is so rear. I hope who ever has a set of the plans, Fin Patterns and Decals sends a copy to Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe, so we all can clone this kit. If not I would also like a set of the plans as will.

For anyone that wants the PNC-50 nose cone Moldin Oldies is now producing this nose cone for $6.00.

Here is the only picture I have blown up larger than in the 1983 catalog.

Do you notice the fins are identical to the Estes Starblazer X-20, or at least close.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-02-2005 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
Do you notice the fins are identical to the Estes Starblazer X-20, or at least close.

Good eye, Arley! Now we have the fin pattern and the catalog says that the length of the kit is 14.375, so I think I'll be able to cobble something together this weekend. I have a couple of these cones waiting to fly on SOMETHING, and I'd love to give the Python Fighter a try.

EchoVictor 09-02-2005 10:05 AM

Great eye, Arley!

Bill, if you look real close, it seems to me that it shows an overall length of 37.78cm. This converts to 14.875 , not 14.375. I might take a crack at this one soon myself.

Later,
EV

Arley Davis 09-02-2005 10:36 AM

I might someday myself put I still would rather have a copy of the actual Kit including a decal copy. Put if it never surfaces will I will do the same.

As for the length of the rocket I used a magnifying glass and it list the length in Inches as will and its 14.875 In. That would be if i am not mistaken 14 7/8 inches long.

At one time in my life I was an Arcitectual Draftsman.

EchoVictor 09-02-2005 11:46 AM

I did some back calculating from the #1374 Attack Craft Orion plans. They show an OAL of 12.32" and use of a BT-50H, which is 7.75" long. Printing out the wing pattern, it shows a rearward sweep of 1", so;

12.32 - 7.75 - 1.0 = 3.57" Length of the PNC-50 cone.

Since the Python Fighter has swept-forward wings, the OAL is simply the nose cone length plus the body tube length, thus;

14.875 - 3.57 = 11.3" Body Tube length.

I'm working on scaling the wings from the picture right now. They're definitely not exactly the Starblazer fins, but they're pretty close.

More to follow.....

Later,
EV

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-02-2005 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Great eye, Arley!

Bill, if you look real close, it seems to me that it shows an overall length of 37.78cm. This converts to 14.875 , not 14.375. I might take a crack at this one soon myself.

Later,
EV

Oh, yeah, if you want to be all EXACT and everything I guess you could use a magnigying glass. :rolleyes:
I meant to do the conversion also, but I got busy at work and forgot. At least I hadn't cut any tubing yet. ;)