Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Return to Snake River (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14013)

Tau Zero 06-02-2014 08:27 PM

Return to Snake River

2 Attachment(s)
Two and a half years ago, I met Scott Truax, son of Bob Truax, who engineering Evel Knievel's original X-2 Skycycle. Some of the news stories I did with Scott when I was still a TV reporter are in the following thread:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=9889

I've been working part-time for Scott since February, and today (June 2nd) I officially started working for him full-time. Scott has all his father's plans, drawings, and calculations, and is in the process of building not one, not two, but THREE Skycycles.

We hope to launch on September 1st (Labor Day), 2014, but as you can see, we only have three months left to prepare. The prototype is almost completed, and today I started building the section immediately aft of the ****pit for Skycycle #2 of 3. I only drilled about 150 holes in sheet aluminium today. :rolleyes: :)

Lately one of my taglines has been, "Watch the skies!" ;) :D

In tribute to Bill "Wallyum" Eichelberger, I yelled, "Fishhead!" right before picture #1 below. :rolleyes: :cool:

If you'd like to follow our progress on Facebook, search for "Return to Snake River."

Jerry Irvine 06-02-2014 09:20 PM

Great to see the history of dedicated model rocketeers working on the project. Good luck and Godspeed.

Jerry

DeanHFox 06-02-2014 09:29 PM

Whee!

Congrats on the new gig, Jay! Can't wait to see a SkyCycle finally in the skies! Good luck!

CPMcGraw 06-02-2014 11:50 PM

Perhaps the new gig will also allow you to build a full-sized Tau Zero? :D

Tau Zero 06-02-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Perhaps the new gig will also allow you to build a full-sized Tau Zero? :D
I'll certainly have a new rocket building skill set when I'm done. *So*... (sly look) :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :cool:

Jerry Irvine 06-03-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
I'll certainly have a new rocket building skill set when I'm done. *So*... (sly look) :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :cool:
Steel is real. Come over to my side of rocketry!

Tech Jerry

Chas Russell 06-03-2014 09:29 AM

That first picture was very riveting Jay !!!

Are you sure you yelled Fishhead or was it something that sounded like it?

Congrats on the new job and skills advancement opportunity.

Chas

Tau Zero 06-03-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell

Chas,

The last two days I've been drilling holes and plugging them with Cleco fasteners. The riveting part is coming up real soon, possibly end of this week or early next week.

Actually, what I yelled *was* pretty fishy, as opposed to any excremental substance. :eek: :rolleyes:

All of us who are involved in this project are hoping for its success, as well as it opening future opportunities for us. First, to get these REAL ( :D ) rockets built and launched!

Thanks for all the positive thoughts! ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum 06-03-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell

Chas

:confused: Dishhead? Wishhead? :rolleyes:

Tau Zero 06-03-2014 09:32 PM

More Skycycle pictures

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos for those of you who can't "get to" Return to Snake River's Facebook page.

They are:

1) Dry fit, May 2014.

2) Closeup of back end (minus nozzle) and improved parachute canister (two chutes instead of one).

3) Headrest cowling courtesy of Engineer Craig Adams, June 2014.

4) Improved shock absorber on front end.

5) Three wheels installed.