Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Unfinisher's Lament (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6611)

Bob Thomas 02-18-2010 02:24 AM

Unfinisher's Lament

4 Attachment(s)
It's not so bad. Ever since I started a 1/100 Saturn 1B back in October, I have continuously made attempts to fabricate the tower with numerous failures. It comes out so cheezy or delicate that I scrap it so I won't settle. I just found TENAX so maybe that will work better.

The good news is that I have distracted myself with builds off the cue that had no priority, except for the almost 1/10 scale Jayhawk awaiting finish, which I always intended to be a little bigger.

When I rounded them up, it wasn't such a bad showing of clones.

1/100 Saturn 1B (sans escape tower), 1/2 size Estes Optimus, Estes Orbital Interceptor, Estes SARK upscale, Quest Intruder bash (primed) and Centuri X-24 clone. I didn't even realize I was getting anything done and I still neglect my commercial kits.

The Jayhawk AQM-37C version I chose suffers from a slightly short SEMROC 1344 cone with ST-13 cut long to make it up, tapered to an ST-8 stuffer with 18mm mount. Can't decide on White or Competition Orange scheme or mixed like the one strapped to the F4.

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-18-2010 03:20 AM

Like the one strapped to the F4. :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-18-2010 03:22 AM

Oh, yeah. I like the Orbital Interceptor, too. Is that an upscale? I was always under the impression that it was a smaller bird.

Eagle3 02-18-2010 06:33 AM

Best thread title eveh

ghrocketman 02-18-2010 09:43 AM

Make it into a Sandpiper (USAF version) and paint it to match.
Short of that, go with the version mounted to the F-4.
I always thought the all-orange version (target drone or NOT) looked REALLY cheese-ball.

Bob Thomas 02-18-2010 03:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think the Sandpiper had the smaller fins like the 37A so I will go for the White with Orange (less work for the decals as well, tedious making white insignia).

As for the Orbital Interceptor - its close to scale (cone long, so BT shortened, that sort of thing).

I might have to break down for the new Moldin' Oldies 1/100 Saturn Tower if the Tenax cement doesn't work - tough to part with $13 when thats about what most the other parts cost me, I'm on a budget too.

I should have named the Optima .5 something else, like Inbitweena, and follow up with a Minima micro sized.

Nice weather coming - 40 this weekend - got to prime and paint - make decals for the USS Locator (Intruder Bash)

Thanks for comments, will post pics on completion

ScaleNut 02-19-2010 10:35 AM

Here's mine with the white/orange scheme.
I originally went all orange than changed my mind and resprayed it.

ghrocketman 02-19-2010 12:30 PM

That Jayhawk looks HUGE !
What size tube is that ???

Bob Thomas 02-19-2010 01:15 PM

Sweet Cheezit, thats beautiful!

Mine will never look as good as that, Andy. I can only hope for close. My scale is smaller so I'll get away with a little less detail.

You should have stood in the background to make it look even bigger!

SEL 02-19-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas
I think the Sandpiper had the smaller fins like the 37A so I will go for the White with Orange (less work for the decals as well, tedious making white insignia).

As for the Orbital Interceptor - its close to scale (cone long, so BT shortened, that sort of thing).

I might have to break down for the new Moldin' Oldies 1/100 Saturn Tower if the Tenax cement doesn't work - tough to part with $13 when thats about what most the other parts cost me, I'm on a budget too.

I should have named the Optima .5 something else, like Inbitweena, and follow up with a Minima micro sized.

Nice weather coming - 40 this weekend - got to prime and paint - make decals for the USS Locator (Intruder Bash)

Thanks for comments, will post pics on completion

Wow! I've never see the white/orange paint scheme. Maybe I'll build mine after all.

S.