Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Dragon Models MR-7 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10590)

jharding58 01-23-2012 03:11 PM

Dragon Models MR-7

5 Attachment(s)
I have finally received a few of the new Dragon Models (11014) 1/72 Mercury Redstone kits. These are relatively good mouldings and seem to come close to the scale specified of 1/72. Box art depicts the MR-7 lifting from the pad, although I am not too sure about the hills in the background. The instructions for this kit are contained on the rear of the box. Assembly and painting/marking instuctions with pictures and very little language.

Possibly one of the more interesting aspects of the kit is that all the cylindrical parts, and the capsule are moulded in one piece. Possibly one of the most fiendlishly engineered pieces of tooling in that the long axis of the tubes are parallel to the break line of the mould. Only downisde of these parts is that they are completely smooth. Not a weld seam to be had. The fins and motor bell are moulded individually, while the fin can provides an internally moulded tube to receive the support wire.

The LES is finely moulded with the tower constructed of six parts; three legs, three sets of trusses. The motor components are as you would expect, single main motor body, motor base, aerospike, three escape motor bells, and the jettison motor assembly.

The capsule is composed of three pieces; main body and parachute compartment, antennae can, and the LES leg attachement cap. Shingle detail is moulded quite well at this scale with the single window adjacent to the hatch. There is no porthole on this capsule. There are some additional parts which I would guess are associated with either a planned release, or a scrapped content of the capsule removed form the booster since the capsule stops at the shingles. These are the retro pack straps, retro nozzles, and manouevre thrusters. There is also a separately moulded door for the antennae can which would be open in flight. What is missing (and obviously so based upon the large gap on the sprue and cut edges) is the heat shield and retro pack base. A shame really since it would be nice to be able to decide how you wished to model this spacecraft.

There are three bases on a single sprue moulded in black plastic. One is the 3.5" stand for the Redstone and includes a single piece of wire to serve as the support. There are two additional bases of about 1.75" which I am guessing would be for the capsule only.

Decals provided are for both capsules but the crack is absent for Liberty Bell. The booster decals consist of the upper roll pattern, mid stack black stripe, US markings, and booster identifiers for MR-7 so you are on your own for Liberty Bell.

To our specific interests if the capsule is released independently then the booster looks to be a BT-50. If you wish to modify this kit to flying condition it is probably a 13mm candidate but woul dbe heavy at best. You would need to open up the caps at the end of the booster sections and trim away the exhaust vanes moulded on the fins. Weight might be a problem as the sprues weigh in at 2.2 oz. Deduct the overhead and you are possibly looking at 1.5 oz. for the flying parts.

Dragon manufactures some interesting kits and generally follows up with a series. They seem to be quite committed to the Space Program so there is possibility that there is an Atlas and Titan LV in the coming months (N.B. According to the Dragon Models website the Gemini capsule is already released). For those that wish to compliment Dr. Zooch's BT-50 based Redstone and the Atlas you may have an answer to the fiddly bits on the top of the booster.

jharding58 01-23-2012 03:42 PM

After digging a little deeper into the Dragon Models websiste there should be quite the selection of Mercury and Gemini spacecraft on the market. They list:

50385 1/72 Gemini Spacecraft 29 Apr 2011
50384 1/72 Mercury Spacecraft "Freedom 7" 31 May 2011
50390 1/72 Gemini Spacecraft w/Spacewalker 08 Sep 2011
50403 1/72 Redstone Rocket w/Mercury Spacecraft 13 Oct 2011
50393 1/72 Mercury Spacecraft "Liberty Bell 7" 15 Nov 2011
11014 1/72 Redstone Rocket w/Mercury Spacecraft 05 Dec 2011
11013 1/72 Gemini Spacecraft w/Spacewalker 19 Dec 2011
50394 1/72 Mercury Spacecraft "Friendship 7" 29 Dec 2011

http://www.dragonusaonline.com/Sear...ategoryCode=187

Dragon part numbers are simplay a hot mess. There is some product cross over between unassembled and assembled models, and between Dragon, Dragon USA, and Dragon HK.

chrism 01-24-2012 03:24 PM

AMT now owned by Round 2 is re-relaesing the 1/200th scale Man in Space rocket set

Here are the details:

http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/man-in-space

jeffyjeep 01-24-2012 08:29 PM

The hills in the background? Why those are famous Floridian Mountains!

They're not as technically challenging as K2--but they're a lot warmer! :D

GregGleason 01-24-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
AMT now owned by Round 2 is re-relaesing the 1/200th scale Man in Space rocket set

Here are the details:

http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/man-in-space

I remember that kit! I think I gave that as a birthday gift to a friend when I was a kid.

Greg

jharding58 03-01-2012 02:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think it will fit on a BT-50. Or a Series 10.

hcmbanjo 03-01-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
The hills in the background? Why those are famous Floridian Mountains!
:D

Hey - there is famous mountains in Florida
Mt Dora at an elevation of 184 feet.
And of course the second highest mountain in Florida . . .

Space Mountain at Disney World - 184 feet tall.

chrism 03-01-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
I think it will fit on a BT-50. Or a Series 10.

If that's the case, you could add the plastic detail to a flying rocket with no problem. Just think, no more building the escape tower with tiny dowels!

jharding58 03-01-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
If that's the case, you could add the plastic detail to a flying rocket with no problem. Just think, no more building the escape tower with tiny dowels!

Only for as long as they are around. Mercury capsules are notoriously difficult to keep in production. I would not let the dowel skills get too rusty.