Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MPC History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16731)

SEL 08-06-2017 09:32 PM

MRI Launch Pad

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Seems like a good place to post these:

Below are a couple of MRI pieces. The first is an instruction card and nichrome igniter wire that came with their motors. Apparently there were 2 versions, one lightly larger. Pictured are the front and back. Both sizes are identical, except that on the larger card, both sides are printed in red.

The second is a detail of a MRI parachute that came with a kit I bought back in 67/68 from a Hobby Shop in Woburn, Ma. Not sure, but I think it was the Icarus. Very thick plastic, and I remember it being quite difficult to stuff into the min. diameter tube.

Sean

This was included in an ebay auction win circa mid-2000's. I confirmed w/Stefan (SEJ) at a club launch on Saturday what I thought I remembered, that this is a MRI Launch Pad. It's very small, the legs are only 6'' long. The bag is stapled shut but its never been opened, so I need to decide if I want to let the MRI pixie dust otut and set it up to take a picture. I have a launch rod around here somewhere that I think came with the pad. looks a bit different from the standard Estes/Centuri type of the time period; It has more of a copper-y color to it. The red rubber ball is so you don't put your eye out, kid.

stefanj 08-07-2017 09:45 AM

It would be appropriate to pose a finished Lepus on there!

As I recall, the MRI instructions had a little schematic for launch circuit. The starter set must have had a launch controller, and I believe I saw a picture set of an MRI starter set here a year or two ago.

SEL 08-07-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
It would be appropriate to pose a finished Lepus on there!

As I recall, the MRI instructions had a little schematic for launch circuit. The starter set must have had a launch controller, and I believe I saw a picture set of an MRI starter set here a year or two ago.

I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures, too - possibly in Model Rocketry Magazine ads.
As soon as I finish the 'Lepus' you gave me, I'll set it up on the Launch Pad and post the photos.

Sean

Initiator001 10-19-2017 04:27 PM

I was looking for something else...

1 Attachment(s)
...And found these.

Here are three MPC kits that were part of that 'find' around 1990.
While I found MPC kits in an out-of-the-way hobby shop near Las Vegas,
these kits were from a hobby shop in the Los Angeles area.

I bought a couple of each kit and opened the ones where the packaging had been damaged.

In the case of the Lunar Patrol, the cutting pattern for the parts was printed on the balsa sheet. Centuri did this with some of their kits too.

Well, since the boxes are opened I guess I will just have to build them. ;)

I don't know about the paint schemes. Pink fins on the Flare Patriot? :confused: :eek:

stefanj 10-20-2017 10:14 AM

Hey. If the box shows pink fins and a silver body tube, you are morally obligated to do it that way.

We'll be carefully watching the build thread.

(I actually have a can of pink spray paint. I used it on a "Mrs. Hustler," a slightly downscale Hustler.)

I have a Microsonde 3, a Lunar Patrol, and a couple of those "build it three ways" kits. I plan on giving them "catalog finishes," or in the case of MPC box finishes.

The Microsonde, I figure I'll fly on a 1/2A6-0 - 1/2A6-0 - A6-4 combo.

blackshire 10-20-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
...And found these.

I bought a couple of each kit and opened the ones where the packaging had been damaged.

In the case of the Lunar Patrol, the cutting pattern for the parts was printed on the balsa sheet. Centuri did this with some of their kits too.

I don't know about the paint schemes. Pink fins on the Flare Patriot? :confused: :eek:
The Flare Patriot's fins look lavender--like a lady unicorn's eye shadow--to me. Also:

The "missing" MPC parts (those that Quest [you can see their parts here: http://www.questaerospace.com/Model...06_3447166.aspx ] doesn't have, such as the Pegasus MK II's T20 size plastic fin unit [MPC's Pioneer 1 also used it] and the Lunar Patrol gliders' T15 size nose cones' *bases*), could be reproduced by either of our "resident" rockets/parts 3D printers (Aerobotix http://www.shapeways.com/shops/cesp...0#more-products and Boyce Aerospace Hobbies http://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/ ). All of the MPC kits can be seen *here* (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/74avicat.html ).

stefanj 10-20-2017 07:21 PM

Another missing part: The goofy Mercury-oid space capsule used in some kits.

In one case a length of T-5 was added between the conical portion and the blunt tip. The first MPC kit I purchased, probably in late 1970, had that. (Ah, thanks for catalog link, Blackshire . . . "Redstone Maverick.")

Another: The foam saucers from the Martian Patrol. That also uses a weird cone/transition.

I built and finished a Nike Patriot last summer. A good, sturdy sport flyer. Sand and fill those sturdy "fiber" tubes and you get a great finish.

If I didn't have ten zillion unbuilt kits and projects, I'd make an upscale Moon Go. BT-60 upper section, with a BMS Gemini capsule.

blackshire 10-20-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Another missing part: The goofy Mercury-oid space capsule used in some kits.

In one case a length of T-5 was added between the conical portion and the blunt tip. The first MPC kit I purchased, probably in late 1970, had that. (Ah, thanks for catalog link, Blackshire . . . "Redstone Maverick.")

Another: The foam saucers from the Martian Patrol. That also uses a weird cone/transition.

I built and finished a Nike Patriot last summer. A good, sturdy sport flyer. Sand and fill those sturdy "fiber" tubes and you get a great finish.

If I didn't have ten zillion unbuilt kits and projects, I'd make an upscale Moon Go. BT-60 upper section, with a BMS Gemini capsule.
You're welcome. Ah yes, the Moon-Go! The Redstone Quasar may be the kit (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/74avi03.html )--there may be more, also--that use the long-cone-with-blunt-ogive-tip-piece nose cone with a length of T15 tubing between the conical and blunt ogive tip sections. I never had a Moon-Go; did you mean that its Mercury-oid capsule could also have a length of T15 tubing inserted between two sections of it? Also:

The Martian Patrol's foam saucers could be reproduced by first 3D printing one or more ABS or acrylic duplicates (using the measurements of an original one to create the print file), then pouring a two-part, vented, "alignment-keyed" RTV rubber mold over it/them. Various types of liquid expanding foam could then be used to cast more foam saucer gliders. Plus:

Quest doesn't--although they once did--make the plastic fin assemblies that used external plastic fin-locking rings (G. Harry Stine used these for customizing, by cutting the fins to desired planform shapes with a hot knife). These fins and lock rings could also be 3D printed, and:

3D printing could be used to create plastic duplicates of the T15 size, balsa 5:1 tangent ogive and elliptical nose cones which were used in the MPC and AVI Miniroc kits (the MPC plastic detail parts set could be 3D printed as well, "off" the "trees" that the originals were injected-molded on; these parts could be used to detail any MPC/AVI/Quest kit).

A Fish Named Wallyum 10-22-2017 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
...And found these.

I have a Flare Patriot in white at the moment, but I don't think I'll be going with the pink/lavender fins like the box art. Still trying to come up with something fitting. Also keeping in mind how little fun it is working with those decals. :rolleyes:

Ez2cDave 06-08-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I send people free Fedex Ground labels and shipping lablels to preserve collections for free. I don't ask that many questions about what is in the boxes.

Hmm . . . "Model Airplane Parts" ?

LOL !

Dave F.