Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Will North Korea start WWIII? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16542)

dlazarus6660 03-19-2017 05:43 PM

Will North Korea start WWIII?

Will North Korea start WWIII?

Today, N. Korea fired a new, more powerful rocket motor giving N. Korea the ability to launch an ICBM at the U.S.
I live near two US Airbases and I know they would be targeted for a missile strike.
I would be one of the lucky ones to be killed on a nuclear first strike.
This news brings me back to the cold war memories of the 60's.

What do you think?

tbzep 03-19-2017 06:41 PM

I doubt it, unless you call 3-5 countries against one a "world war". China is not happy with them, so I doubt anybody will actively fight along with them if they start something. I imagine the US, S. Korea, and Japan (and possibly another country or two that doesn't like them) will do to N. Korea what the coalition did to Iraq's ability to wage war pretty quick, while China and Russia denounces us in public and curses them for being stupid in private.

ghrocketman 03-19-2017 08:02 PM

This is definitely a situation where we should pre-emptively DESTROY their ability to be a World MENACE permanently.

tbzep 03-19-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
This is definitely a situation where we should pre-emptively DESTROY their ability to be a World MENACE permanently.

I'm sure that S. Korea and Japan would like that just as much as some of us here. However, the USA is too immersed in world opinion to act, and the rest of the world would condemn us if we did. China would like for them to be knocked down a notch, but wants them to remain solvent as a buffer country. The US is just as afraid to make China mad now as they were in the 50's flying near the Yalu River.

I seriously doubt that we will ever be a part of a large preemptive strike of that magnitude in this world climate. Decades ago we had the espionage infrastructure to infiltrate, sabotage, and thus prevent or severely delay them from developing such capabilities. Today, all we can do is watch, wait, and retaliate.

Joe Wooten 03-20-2017 06:44 AM

As a father of a Marine infantryman, I hope it does not come to another war there. Tom has been on three MEU's, with every one stopping first in South Korea for war games with the ROK forces. That has the potential to be another nasty war that we do not need.

OTOH, the Nork structure is so **** rotten, all it might need to come undone totally is a really hard slap like a decapitation strike on their elites. Knock off the top 40-50 big dogs there and everything will fall apart.

tbzep 03-20-2017 08:01 AM

I can't imagine what the folks of S. Korea think about it. On one hand, there are thousands or even hundreds of thousands of relatives that have never met or haven't seen each other in over 60 years. On the other hand, a re-unification of the two countries could have a catastrophic effect on S. Korea's economy and infrastructure.

Rob Campbell 03-20-2017 08:38 AM

Another way to look at it is, will North Korea enter WW III. We, the US have been at war continuously since August, 1990. After Desert Storm, we moved into Northern and Southern Watch. We've been in Afghanistan since 2001. We have flash points flaring up in Iran, North Korea, and Ukraine and Syria. The war is already started, how big will it get.

Steven 04-04-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

That worked out like a charm in Iraq and now ISIS is on the loose. The US needs to stop being the police country of the world.

mojo1986 04-04-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven
That worked out like a charm in Iraq and now ISIS is on the loose. The US needs to stop being the police country of the world.

AMEN!!

Jerry Irvine 04-04-2017 08:03 PM

I don't know if they will, but they tell their internal population they will. Admittedly they kill all their family and opponents, but at some point does a population opinion matter at all?

I am pretty sure Obama abandoning heavy weapons in Iraq with no status of forces agreement was entirely foreseeable that they might fall into the hands of terrorists. What they didn't predict or prevent was Iraqi soldiers literally surrendering their weapons and uniforms and running away and ISIS walking over and picking up the Humvee keys and weapons. Oops.

In case you haven't noticed ISIS drives Ford and Toyota trucks with gun mounts, and armoured personnel carriers made in the USA.

When we leave a country, bring our stuff with us. Turkey is close by.