Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does Anyone Remember MPC Lunar Launch Pads? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15938)

chrism 04-21-2016 07:07 PM

Does Anyone Remember MPC Lunar Launch Pads?

There is this hobby shop here in the Twin Cities that specializes in OOP models and other neat stuff. Hanging on the wall in their rocketry area are I think 4 MPC Lunar Launch pads. The packaging looks old, I could not see a date on them. Anyway they are silver and remind me a lot of the Estes Porta Pad in design, except they have a red fiberglass launch rod. They are the pad only and do not include a launch controller.

Back when I was growing up in western PA, the hobby shops there carried only Estes and Centuri products. It wasn't until years later that I found out MPC made more than just car models.

Initiator001 04-21-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
There is this hobby shop here in the Twin Cities that specializes in OOP models and other neat stuff. Hanging on the wall in their rocketry area are I think 4 MPC Lunar Launch pads. The packaging looks old, I could not see a date on them. Anyway they are silver and remind me a lot of the Estes Porta Pad in design, except they have a red fiberglass launch rod. They are the pad only and do not include a launch controller.

Back when I was growing up in western PA, the hobby shops there carried only Estes and Centuri products. It wasn't until years later that I found out MPC made more than just car models.

These are actually MRC launch pads from the mid/late 1980s.

The big clue is the fiberglass launch rod.

stefanj 04-21-2016 10:43 PM

I have a couple of those pads, bought in MPC packaging back in the day from AVI.

I never had the "Lunar Lectric" controller. Missed out on the chance to buy them from AVI.

georgegassaway 04-21-2016 10:54 PM

I used the original MPC pad a LOT. Also had a Cox pad, but used the MPC pad more.

The box said it was a "Flying Model Rocket Launch Pad". So..... I converted the pad to FLY, and flew it on D12 power.

OK, so there was a plan in MRM on how to do just that.

ghrocketman 04-22-2016 06:09 PM

WOW !
Now that's something I'd really like to see !
Do you have any pics of the pad actually flying under rocket-power ?

Scott_650 04-22-2016 06:58 PM

Aahh - my original launch pad from long ago. Gave it away with almost all my rocket stuff sometime in the late 70s. If I recall correctly the windvane didn't work very well - I think I left it off most of the time.

georgegassaway 04-22-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
WOW !
Now that's something I'd really like to see !
Do you have any pics of the pad actually flying under rocket-power ?

I have very few photos of anything from the 70's.

However, it is actually in my first Prang Film, which is on the Old Rocketeers Reunion DVD. There is a sequence where the music "Fanfare for the Common Man", by E.L.P. begins, a rocket takes off from the MPC pad...... and then the MPC Pad takes off.

I could try to get some screenshots but the images would be poor. Also I shot it zoomed back a bit too much, I later wished i'd shot a zoomed in pre-launch "establishing scene" to make it more obvious what was going on.

stefanj 09-22-2016 01:36 PM

I lent one of my Lunar Lectric pads to the Sunriver Science Center's display of old rocketry stuff.

Both of the pads are missing the little wind vane that sits on top of the tilt-adjustment spike.

Someone suggested that the pad's pieces may have been scanned and exist in 3D modeling form. I looked on Shapeways but couldn't find anything. Is there another site where I might find these models?

Also interested in a re-creation of the MPC launch controller.

I could have sworn seeing a discussion about this on YORF, but can't find it now.

mojo1986 09-22-2016 04:57 PM

Can anyone post a photo of the pad under discussion? There were a few model rocket companies that had such a launch pad back in the day, and I'm wondering if the moulds made the rounds when some of these companies went out of business. I believe the Canadian company (Canaroc) sold one like the pad mentioned here, complete with the little wind vane. I'm sure they never produced the pads themselves but rather found a source for them.

Speaking of the MPC version and the Lunar Lectric controller from the same company, these products show up from time to time on Ebay.

Joe

hcmbanjo 09-22-2016 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Can anyone post a photo of the pad under discussion?Joe

There's an MRC Concept II Launcher on Ebay as we speak:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Sea...AAOSwFe5X12z M