Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Ask the Doctor (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Meet the Doctor (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2077)

Rocket Doctor 08-24-2007 08:44 PM

Meet the Doctor

Hello all my fellow rocketeers.

The Rocket Doctor is back, after a hiatus, it's hard to believe that the Estes Forum was shut down on April 21st.

I have been in the hobby for the past 43 years now, having built, flown aned lost a huge amount of rockets over these many years.

My main interest was Estes kits, but, I did have favorite Centuri kits, such as the Centuri Saturn V and the Mach 10.

I was, and the key word is was, a marketing consultant for Estes in one way or another for many years.

I was not an Estes employee, but, an independent consultant.

My designs included the Baby Bertha, Estres No 2 Skywriter, Screamin MiMi, Deluxe Super Shot Screw Machine (not my original name), Converter, and the 36 D Squared (wh8ich originally had another name)

I have put together at least 25 - 35 prototypes, and, was to have four of them produced at the beginning of this year (2007).

For those of you who had followed the Estes Forum or was a member, the Forum was taking off, with good ideas and suggestions and concerns.

I tried my best to make changes, but, met with resistance along the way.

The length of the shcok cords were supposed to have been changed, and, apparently they weren't.

I brought up your concerns about engines, new products, shock cords and the reintroduction of vintage kits.

I was very sincere with what i posted, exciting thing were supposed to have come along, but, at this point, I don't know.

I also tried to get Estes to particpate in NARCON,NSL and NARAM in one way or another.

And, I ppushed for anniversary products for the Estes 50th (June 12,2008)

Once again, I thank all of you for your support.

RD

Carl@Semroc 08-24-2007 09:02 PM

RD,

You will notice that many of your old friends on the Estes forum are over here.

Good to see the ol' Doc back online.

UMRS 08-24-2007 09:25 PM

Welcome doctor, look forward to being able to tap your knowledge :)

pdooley 08-24-2007 09:39 PM

RD,
Good to see you back in a venue where you can share your knowledge.

I suppose even though the forum has changed we will not be privy to your real name.
That's cool. Besides, what fun would it be if we found out? :D

I look forward to hearing more about your Estes experiences now that you may have more freedom to discuss the subject.

Skippy 08-24-2007 11:37 PM

Nice to have you here Doc. Tell us more about the Bell X-1 you had planned for Estes. Can we have it from Semroc now? :p

Rocket Doctor 08-25-2007 05:55 AM

Hello everyone, Thank you for your kind words.

My identity has been out for some time now, Carl at Semroc figured it out.
My name is Ken Montanye NAR 9803 L1.

I want to Thank Carl for his hospitality during my recent visit to Semroc.

My goal is, if I hit the lottery, and both the powerball and mega million are way up (8/25) I would buy Estes and turn it back into a model rocket company and offer many great vintage kits.

I would also work on bringing back the original metal fin kwik fin alignment guide, I may still do that anyway.

No more plastic in the fin guide !!!!!

Once again I thank you all for your support.

The Bell X-1 was a true replica of the actual rocket plane, it had molded plastic parts combined with balsa, it was a really great looking rockeet.

By the way, the engine for the BHell X-1 was produced by a company in New Jersey called Reactrion Motors, Inc (1941 - 1972)

The engine was named the XLR-11, RMI also produced the engine for the X-15 and it was designated the XLR-99.

These engines (new) are on display at Edwards AFB in CA and at the Teterboro Aviation Hall of Fame in New Jersey.

You can go online and find alot of information on RMI, just put Reaction Motors in the address bar and click.

I am currently researching this company, and, I have visited a couple of test sites.

Stop back for some rocket chat......

CPMcGraw 08-25-2007 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Hello everyone, Thank you for your kind words.

My identity has been out for some time now, Carl at Semroc figured it out.
My name is Ken Montanye NAR 9803 L1....

Ken,

If I've failed to say it before, welcome to our asylum! We're a true blend of mixed nuts around here...

And, if you're in need of an outlet for a few new designs, BARCLONE has plenty of room for additional designers!

BTW -- Check out what we've done with your Baby Bertha. Look for our GOONIES in the "Scrounged" thread under "Workbench | Projects"... :D

Rocket Doctor 08-25-2007 07:23 AM

Craig

Thank you for your kind words.
Yes, indeed, I would like to see some of my latest designs produced, Shooting Star, Jump Zone and the Siren rocket. The Bell X-1 would need some molds.

I am open to suggestions, if you or anyone else is interested in producing my designs, let's talk.

Thanks again,
Ken

RD

dwmzmm 08-25-2007 09:37 AM

Rocket Doctor,

Welcome to this forum! After the Estes forum had shut down, I knew you would show up either here or The Rocket Forum sooner or later. We're glad to have you aboard and looking forward to sharing many insights and ideas (as well as remembering the great
pasttime of our hobby) once again.

BTW, assuming you don't win the lottery and can't buy Estes, any chance you could wind
up with one (or more) of the current excellent modroc vendors around today?!

sandman 08-25-2007 10:24 AM

Welcome, Ken!

I think you wll be happier here than TRF. It's a bit friendlier.

The mods have to do a lot less policing here.