Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Estes 1958 Black Brant II: Skill Level 2 vs 4 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10232)

raohara 11-14-2011 11:12 AM

Estes 1958 Black Brant II: Skill Level 2 vs 4

Anyone know what the difference is between the skill level 4 and skill level 2 release of the Estes 1958 Black Brant II is? I can't tell from the back of the package, and I am reluctant to open them up and compare the parts and plans.

- Rich

Jerry Irvine 11-14-2011 11:33 AM

If you could pre-sell kits to folks here who want to buy them open and new, to build, you could start a trend of documenting every kit Estes makes starting this year and going as far back as inventory permits.

One could also collect such info from everyone and link or associate it to a site like Jimz.

Jerry

carbons4 11-14-2011 12:32 PM

I seem to remember getting at least one kit back in pre historic days that the instructions showed a balsa nose cone and there was a plastic one within. Never had a "little" Black Brant II kit.

ghrocketman 11-14-2011 02:26 PM

The BT-55 based Skill level 4 and 2 Black Brant II kits are EXACTLY the same.
Why they EVER rated it a 4 is beyond me. Lots of plastic and little craftsmanship required.
It is a high 2 to maybe low 3 skill level kit due to having to glue fins to the boat-tail instead of just the tube.

The earlier BT-50 based Black Brant III is a totally different kit.
NONE of the Estes Black Brant kits ever had a balsa cone.
The early BT-50 based Black Brant III used the same plastic cone as the Satellite Interceptor. Used the same plastic engine display bell nozzle too.

jharding58 11-14-2011 02:51 PM

I have never actually seen a Skill Level 2 packaged 1958 Black Brant; but that is just me. The Skill Level 4 was the production of the antennae and the roll patterns in finishing. From a build perspective take away the antennae and the build was very straightforward - moreso with the moulded boattail. The first reference to the Black Brant II was new in 1986 as a Level 4. With the introduction of the Explorer Series in 1993 the BB II was lumped in with the others as Level 2 where she stayed until 1996; and her demise.

I guess I could have said "nothing" and been as accurate, but the catalogues do differentiate.

CPMcGraw 11-14-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
...The early BT-50 based Black Brant III used the same plastic cone as the Satellite Interceptor. Used the same plastic engine display bell nozzle too...

Additional note: The catalog number for that nose cone was PNC-50BB, indicating the "first use" was likely the BBIII...

It's still available, I think, in the No.2 Skywriter...

tbzep 11-14-2011 05:04 PM

I built my kit in the 80's and only rounded the leading edge and tapered the trailing edge. I don't recall whether that's the way the instructions read. On my 2" dia. BB II, I did all the proper angles.

Proper fin shaping would be enough to easily seat it in skill level 3 or 3+ for most kids. For those of us with lots of sanding experience, :rolleyes: we wouldn't think of it increasing the skill level, but it definitely increases the expletive level. :p

jharding58 11-14-2011 06:03 PM

Soon as I say I have never seen one there is an example on ebay!!! And a Silver Arrow to bash to a V2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-1958-...03 42215516723

BEC 11-14-2011 06:28 PM

Not surprising....that's an eBay post from the OP of this thread....:)

dannymrmissile 11-14-2011 07:07 PM

Black Brant

Quote:
Originally Posted by raohara
Anyone know what the difference is between the skill level 4 and skill level 2 release of the Estes 1958 Black Brant II is? I can't tell from the back of the package, and I am reluctant to open them up and compare the parts and plans.

- Rich

I have both versions too-I think Estes just changed criteria pertaining to Skill Levels-ie: today's Interceptor is a level 2 while the original one was level 3, etc. dannymrmissile.