Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   RockSim Asylum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Crash on startup . . . 9.0.5.80 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6976)

stefanj 04-23-2010 08:21 PM

Crash on startup . . . 9.0.5.80

I started up RockSim for the first time in months last Saturday. Worked just fine. I entered data on a model, ran a few sims.

I opened and closed the program several times that evening. No problems.

I had it look for updates. It found one, but couldn't download it from Apogee for some reason.

On Sunday, I started up the program again. D'oh! It crashed on start. I got the Windows XP "...has encountered a problem and needs to close" box.

Here is the Error signature stuff:

AppName: rocksim.exe AppVer: 9.0.5.80 ModName: advapi32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset: 0000eb75

Is there I way I can update without actually having RockSim running?

CPMcGraw 04-24-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I started up RockSim for the first time in months last Saturday. Worked just fine. I entered data on a model, ran a few sims.

I opened and closed the program several times that evening. No problems.

I had it look for updates. It found one, but couldn't download it from Apogee for some reason.

On Sunday, I started up the program again. D'oh! It crashed on start. I got the Windows XP "...has encountered a problem and needs to close" box.

Here is the Error signature stuff:

AppName: rocksim.exe AppVer: 9.0.5.80 ModName: advapi32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset: 0000eb75

Is there I way I can update without actually having RockSim running?

Locate the license file (*.ilf) and save it somewhere you can find it again.

Save all of your working CSV files from the DATA folder.

Download a fresh (full) copy of RockSim. Something failed during the previous download and corrupted the installation. Fully delete the current installation, then delete the remaining files in the RockSim folder.

Install the fresh copy, but do not run it. Create a new subfolder within the main RockSim folder and copy all of the 'new' CSV files into it. Rename it "DATA BACKUP", or something similar. Now, move your original CSV files directly into the DATA folder.

Now run RockSim and point it to your license file. You should see the version as 9.0.8 Build 84, or possibly something newer. Tim announced a new build just a few days ago.

stefanj 04-24-2010 11:24 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight.

snaquin 04-27-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
You should see the version as 9.0.8 Build 84, or possibly something newer. Tim announced a new build just a few days ago.

A new version downloaded today when I ran RockSim. The notes since build 84 that were referenced in the download:

Version information
Apogee Components RockSim
Version: 9.0.9f87
Copyright: 2008 Paul L. Fossey
Production release, Build: 87

Changes for version 9.0.9 (Build 86)
Fixed a bug on the graph plotting screen. Displayed units were reverting to the internal metric units each time plot settings changed. User designated units are now retained.
Fixed a crash bug on the 2D flight profile screen. Rapidly moving the time slider back and forth was crashing RockSim on some systems.
Changed the default tab on the Inside Tube editor screen to General.
Added three new display columns to the simulation summary table. (Launch mass, Launch CG, Launch CP, and Launch static margin)
Changed the default location used by RockSim to store data files and simulation output files. The location of the RockSim data files is dependent on which on the operating system on your computer. This change replaces the related changes in version 9.0.8.84.
In the examples below, the UserName entry will be you own user name.
Version is the RockSim major version number.

Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\ApogeeComponents\Rocksim_Version/

Windows Vista and Windows 7:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ApogeeComponents\R ocksim_Version

Mac OS X:
/Users/UserName/Library/Application Support/ApogeeComponents/RockSim_Version

CPMcGraw 04-27-2010 08:53 PM

Just updated my installation. Followed my own advice with the CSV files, and it actually worked. :o :chuckle:

Gotta wonder what Tim and Paul have in store for v10...