Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Another Goony!! A Goony Sprint. (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1541)

sandman 03-11-2007 05:08 PM

Another Goony!! A Goony Sprint.

2 Attachment(s)
The recent Sprint thread had me get all my Astron Sprints together and I realized...I don't have a Goony version.

So here is the beginnings.

The tailcone can be made of paper but balsa is my "media:. :rolleyes:

The second picture shows my finstock.
I cut 4 wedges from each block of balsa I turn to keep from turning the entire amount of extra wood on a block to wood chips.

So I now have a really big box of wedge shaped slabs of wood. This is what I'm making the fins out of.

I had to true everything up a bit on the belt sander.

I will need to come up with a few appropriate decals when I'm finished

Ltvscout 03-11-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
The recent Sprint thread had me get all my Astron Sprints together and I realized...I don't have a Goony version.

So here is the beginnings.

The tailcone can be made of paper but balsa is my "media:. :rolleyes:

The second picture shows my finstock.
I cut 4 wedges from each block of balsa I turn to keep from turning the entire amount of extra wood on a block to wood chips.

So I now have a really big box of wedge shaped slabs of wood. This is what I'm making the fins out of.

I had to true everything up a bit on the belt sander.

I will need to come up with a few appropriate decals when I'm finished

Hmmm, I see another mini-kit in the works! ;)

sandman 03-11-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Hmmm, I see another mini-kit in the works! ;)

Well, no not from me...maybe Phred could.

I can draw up the plans with a paper tailcone and the fins wouldn't be that hard.

Maybe Phred can provide the plans...with decals! :D

Phred 03-11-2007 07:37 PM

I have always wanted to 'Goonify' the sprint, buy couldn't figure out how to make it stable....

As for decals... what is a goony version of the name SPRINT? The LIMP? Meander? The Jog, Stumble, Clod-hopper.....? The mind boggles.... :confused:

Ph

Royatl 03-11-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
I have always wanted to 'Goonify' the sprint, buy couldn't figure out how to make it stable....

As for decals... what is a goony version of the name SPRINT? The LIMP? Meander? The Jog, Stumble, Clod-hopper.....? The mind boggles.... :confused:

Ph

The SQUINT.

Royatl 03-11-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Ph

The SQUINT. i.e. the Squat Sprint.

Rocketflyer 03-12-2007 11:14 AM

Quote:

Ph

Spint= Splatt :D

Jack

sandman 03-12-2007 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Ph

OK, the name is still "pending"

But here is a ROC SIM that shows it stable with about 1 oz of nose weight.

Only 97' on an A8-3 ( :mad: ), 283' on a B6-4 but 774' on a C6-5.

A D21-7 geta it to 1635'! :eek: I may have one of those in my stash. :rolleyes:

Doug Sams 03-12-2007 02:05 PM

Since we're talking Sprints....

Since we're talking Sprints and Goonies, here are my two contributions. This is my Sprint (and Cherk) with fresh decals, finally applied 6 years after completing the birds :)

And, yes, I know the decal scheme is a munge of two others. I shoulda been paying more attention when I painted the nosecone :o

And here's my Sprint bash of a Big Betty. It's sorta Goony with the blunt BB nosecone. Planning to fly it on an F32, I went with a paint scheme intended for high visibility, although it does have the Sprint decal on one fin.

After seeing some of the other Sprints here, I wish I'd gone with a more conventional finish, especially given that it's not yet ever seen more than a D or E.

I do want to add that the Sprint really is high performance. They seem to glide really well. Even the Betty-Sprint shows marked improvement over the Big Betty. I'd say it easily gets 200' more altitude on a C motor.

Doug

sandman 03-12-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Since we're talking Sprints and Goonies, here are my two contributions.
And, yes, I know the decal scheme is a munge of two others. I shoulda been paying more attention when I painted the nosecone :o

And here's my Sprint bash of a Big Betty. It's sorta Goony with the blunt BB nosecone. Planning to fly it on an F32, I went with a paint scheme intended for high visibility, although it does have the Sprint decal on one fin.

After seeing some of the other Sprints here, I wish I'd gone with a more conventional finish, especially given that it's not yet ever seen more than a D or E.

Doug

That's easy to fix...just build another one! :D

BTW, nice job on all of those!