Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   More discontinued Semroc kits (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17699)

rraeford 01-16-2019 11:42 AM

More discontinued Semroc kits

Some of you may have noticed that some of the Semroc kits have been discontinued. The Recruiter, Marauder and a few others. Get them while you can.

ghrocketman 01-16-2019 12:36 PM

That is the biggest gripe I have about the "new" Semroc.
Discontinuing kits.
Under Carl/Sheryl nothing in their "standard" catalog was ever discontinued.
Real shame the Saturn 1B is not still kitted.

Scott6060842 01-16-2019 12:56 PM

Does anyone know if the newer SEMROC kits like the KN-7 Sabre and KN-1 Visitor have any ties to vintage designs?

If so am not familiar with them.

scott_mills 01-16-2019 12:57 PM

It kind of feels like Disney making star wars movies.

BARGeezer 01-16-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
Does anyone know if the newer SEMROC kits like the KN-7 Sabre and KN-1 Visitor have any ties to vintage designs?

If so am not familiar with them.

The Visitor was an old Semroc design that never went into production. Erockets had been carrying the fins for years. I ordered them a few months ago thinking I would clone it and have a one of a kind rocket. Wouldn't you know, Erockets then decided to produce the kit. See the old Semroc description page here:
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...ts.asp?SKU=KN-1

And as far as I know the Sabre is a new kit, reminiscent of the F-86 Sabre of Korean War fame.

rraeford 01-16-2019 02:33 PM

My intention was to inform, not take a swipe at Randy. If not for him, Semroc would still be a memory. Just wanted people to know in case they wanted to get one of the kits before you have to pay the “Rare, HTF” ebay tax. I don’t like kits fading away either but any business owner would be a fool to keep something in production that wasn’t making money. Frankly, I am amazed that so many parts are still available from them. I order from the constantly.

BARGeezer 01-16-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
My intention was to inform, not take a swipe at Randy. If not for him, Semroc would still be a memory. Just wanted people to know in case they wanted to get one of the kits before you have to pay the “Rare, HTF” ebay tax. I don’t like kits fading away either but any business owner would be a fool to keep something in production that wasn’t making money. Frankly, I am amazed that so many parts are still available from them. I order from the constantly.

+1. I also order from them constantly, buying parts for clones from old plans. If Randy continues to carry kits that don't sell, he would also go out of business. Any business man will tell you that there are carrying costs associated with the inventory in one's warehouse. And if he goes out of business, that would be a much bigger loss to our community than losing a few kits that don't sell. And maybe he has a shrewd plan for the Saturn 1B, like periodic reissues every few years ala Estes? Who knows.

rraeford 01-16-2019 03:37 PM

Didn’t he just reissue the SLS Arcas? I hope that strategy works. Period releases of old favorites might be a winning way to keep kits available and stoke demand.

Space Ranger 01-16-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
The Visitor was an old Semroc design that never went into production. Erockets had been carrying the fins for years. I ordered them a few months ago thinking I would clone it and have a one of a kind rocket. Wouldn't you know, Erockets then decided to produce the kit. See the old Semroc description page here:
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...ts.asp?SKU=KN-1

And as far as I know the Sabre is a new kit, reminiscent of the F-86 Sabre of Korean War fame.

I also had purchased the Visitor decal set from Carl & Sheryl as it looked cool on the website but the kit was not released. When eRockets recently announced the release of the Visitor kits I ordered several.

From the kit instructions:
"About the Visitor: The Visitor is the creation of Jim Z. He completed this design a few years ago but it was never put into production. We at Semroc are glad to see this creative rocket finally see the light of day! ……………….………………...What is that up in the sky? Look at those odd fins and that aerodynamic design! Is it even from this world? No! It's a VISITOR "

I was very amazed at how quickly after Randy purchased Semroc he got pretty much the complete original line back into production and available. On top of that, with all of the other lines he carries, he has produced a number of very cool brand new Semroc kits, such as the Farside X, Mars Snooper, UFO Invader, Visitor, etc...

Space Ranger 01-16-2019 04:23 PM

Actually, they should probably add some narration instructions -- to read the last part out loud, in your best Rod Serling voice & Twilight Zone intro music in the background:

What is that up in the sky? Look at those odd fins and that aerodynamic design! Is it even from this world? No! It's a VISITOR " -- from the Semroc Zone..... :eek: