Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Nifty Little Find (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14721)

SEL 01-27-2015 12:04 AM

Nifty Little Find

4 Attachment(s)
I won this Centuri EFC-66 Launch Controller on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. I'll need to re-wire it, but, considering its age (it was available between '65 and '68) I probably would have had to replace it anyway. I won the EFC-44 Controller( photo #3, available in 1964 )7 or 8 years ago and the wiring fell apart in my hands as I unraveled it.

S.

Edit: I meant to include a pic of the Controller from the '65 Centuri catalogue:

JohnNGA 01-27-2015 06:56 PM

Nice find, neat little bit of Centuri history.

mojo1986 01-27-2015 07:23 PM

Sean, I saw that on Ebay recently, but not knowing much about Centuri, I thought it was a home-built job and I ignored it. Nice find indeed! What did it cost you?

Joe

snaquin 01-27-2015 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I won this Centuri EFC-66 Launch Controller on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. I'll need to re-wire it, but, considering its age (it was available between '65 and '68) I probably would have had to replace it anyway. I won the EFC-44 Controller( photo #3, available in 1964 )7 or 8 years ago and the wiring fell apart in my hands as I unraveled it.

S.

Edit: I meant to include a pic of the Controller from the '65 Centuri catalogue:

Nice find, I never had a Centiri controller like that. Reminds me of the FSI EC 102 that I have except for the absence of a continuity check light.

SEL 01-27-2015 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Sean, I saw that on Ebay recently, but not knowing much about Centuri, I thought it was a home-built job and I ignored it. Nice find indeed! What did it cost you?

Joe

Joe,

Much less than I expected - $5 and change. The shipping cost more. Included in the lot were 2 of the pre-assembled Centuri 'chutes, a pack of Sure Shots and a pack of #20 anchor Rings.
I think the Chutes are pretty rare - they don't show up on Ebay very often, anyway.

S.

SEL 01-27-2015 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Nice find, I never had a Centiri controller like that. Reminds me of the FSI EC 102 that I have except for the absence of a continuity check light.

Hey Steve,

Reminded me of the FSI controller too, though I think the FSI is a bit bigger. I'll have to pick up some lamp cord and a jack this weekend and get it back into working order.

S.

SEL 01-31-2015 06:01 PM

How does one respond to something like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL

S.

I ventured out to a Radio Shack this morning for some zip cord and a jack to re-wire the ECF-66 launch Controller:

RS Employee: "Can I help you?"

Me: "Yeah, I need some 18 gauge zip cord. Do you sell it in bulk?"

RS Employee: "What"?

Me: "I need to buy some zip cord - zip wire. You might call it 'Lamp Cord'."

RS Employee: (Scratching his head) "......... uh..."

Me: (Trying to ease his distress - this really seemed to make his head hurt.) "Lamp Cord. You know, the cord that comes out of the base of a lamp, and plugs into the wall socket? I need about 35'."

RS Employee: "Umm, jeeze,... no, we don't carry anything like that. We just have Speaker Wire."

I didn't bother to ask about Nichrome Wire.

S.

Bill 01-31-2015 06:33 PM

Home Depot and Lowes still sell lamp cord.

Or just go to Wal-Mart for an extension cord and cut off the ends.

Bill

stefanj 01-31-2015 11:38 PM

My go-to place for electrical parts these days is Ace Hardware. We're not talking McMaster-Carr, but they're pretty well equipped.

I went to Ace a few weeks ago to buy parts to A) rewire a lamp, and B) replace the receptacle of a heavy duty extension cord which fried dealing with the short circuited lamp. There was a bundle of measured, priced zip cord by the reels; I thought I'd do a good deed and buy it. Longer than what I needed, but spares are always good. The guy at the counter gave it to me for the price of only what I intended to buy!

Tru-Value outlets might have the same sort of inventory.

Good auto parts stores are a source for lamp housings and switches.

bernomatic 02-01-2015 02:30 AM

Please do not get me started about Radio Shack employees. :mad:

I guess we are supposed to feel good that they don't show any bias by having employees who are not techno nerds. :rolleyes: