Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   New MPC Old kits (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11188)

the mole 05-30-2012 01:13 PM

New MPC Old kits

This was posted on Space-Modeler Group.

Well, I know a couple of you guys went to Wonderfest. But for those who
might not have an interest in SF stuff, Round 2 did make one pretty cool
announcement that had me jazzed. They have found the molds MPC used for the
1/100 Vostok and Titan IIIC rockets and are planning to reissue them. These
were models that could be built for display or built for rocket flight. They
had a Vostok box on display (an original as a place holder). As I recall,
that kit was pretty well done at a glance. Checking with a buddy, the Titan
IIIC as I understand it has a core that is slightly too small in diameter,
but the boosters in it have accurate dimensions apparently.

I for one hope this is true.

Initiator001 05-30-2012 06:58 PM

Cool!

I never did get a MPC Titan IIIC but I did win an auction for a Vostok 10-15 years ago.

I remember an issue of the old Model Rocketry magazine featured an article on finishing the MPC Titan IIIC in Bare Metal Foil.

I'm looking forward to when these models become available. :)

Earl 05-30-2012 08:59 PM

Did not Quest obtain most of the 'bones' of the old MPC rocketry assets? I guess those molds must not have been part of the deal.

I have both those kits to build at some point.....they are kinda pricey on the auction market currently, but sometimes some 'open box' kits come up that are reasonably priced.

Did anyone ever build and fly either of these back in the day? Can't say I really recall hearing many flight reports on them. I assume they flew decently well?

Earl

the mole 05-30-2012 09:50 PM

I havn't confirmed that Round 2 is going to release this kit. I am only going by what I read in the Space-Modeler Group. I have email round 2 to ask if this is true. No ansure yet. I'm sure when the Wonderfest reports start to come out we might get some more information. Keep your fingers cross.

From what I have read here the Vostok was a flying lump of plastic and barely flew even on C engines because it was so heavy. You could also barely get the chute in the very confined space ahead of the engine in that internal body tube. I would still like to give it a shot.

Here is a flight reports. http://www.rocketreviews.com/mpc-vo...-jeff-lane.html

turbofireball 05-30-2012 11:12 PM

The two major hobby distributors have already updated their info for MPC thru the end of this year. Neither the Vostok or Titan III are on the list. Next big hobby show is iHobbyExpo in October, where MPC starts to announce 2013 products. So if they decide to release these kits (which I hope they do), it will be well into next year. When they finally do release them, I wouldn't be surprised if the flying parts are left out and they are sold as nostalgic plastic model kits.

Jerry Irvine 05-30-2012 11:26 PM

I wouldn't expect to sell many as model rockets, just like before, but the advent of small reloadables has made these models flyable. If one were to use competition style 1/4 mil virgin poly chutes with 16 thread shrouds, they would pack really small and they could be protected by the heavy mass of plastic with a slide ring. You have to work hard to make that POS fly. I wonder if they could mold a far lower density plastic?

Jerry

Rocketcrab 06-01-2012 06:30 AM

I have always wondered what happened to the molds for those two kits. I scored a Titan III from an auction years ago, but could never snag the Vostok. The MPC kits came out at the height of my first incarnation in the hobby, when I was about 13 and couldn't afford them! :rolleyes:

the mole 06-01-2012 02:46 PM

Well I have search the internet for the last 2 days trying to find out if I could find out if Round 2 is going to release the 1/100 Vostok and Titan IIIC rockets. I can't find a thing.

Sorry if I got anyone hopes up for these kits, but till I see a photo with the kit in it like the one that was said saw at Wonderfest I'm not sure this is true.

Sorry for now.

turbofireball 06-01-2012 04:00 PM

Please see my reply in post #5, it answers your question about the kits.

the mole 06-01-2012 06:08 PM

Turbofireball, after reading your reply for the second time I see what you'r saying. We can keep the hope alive for these models. I know there are smart enought people on this list to make these model fly.