Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are We in a "Rocketry Renaissance"? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=7387)

GregGleason 07-16-2010 08:30 PM

Are We in a "Rocketry Renaissance"?

It has been said by some in the recent past that "this time" is the best time for hobby rocketry, as opposed to the mid 60s to early 70s. At the time I thought that that was a bit of a stretch to make such a claim and considered it just so much marketing hyperbole.

But with Estes re-releasing the Saturn V, Semroc releasing the Orion, and AeroTech and CTI coming out with new motors seemingly each month I am finally on the verge of believing it. Could it be that we are now in a "Rocketry Renaissance"? :)

Greg

STRMan 07-16-2010 10:01 PM

Yes. I still want to be able to go out an buy B14-0's though.

Initiator001 07-16-2010 10:22 PM

Starting around 1988-1990, there seems to a "Rocketry Renaissance" every ten years.

1988-90 saw the rise (and fall) of Enertek which had great promise. AeroTech brought out a kit line, MRC released the Concept II product line, Estes was for sale and there was high hopes for that company. Heck, FSI had new products. HPR was really getting going. Quest appeared.

2000. Let's see. Hmm. Semroc was still a few years away. FlisKits? ;)

2010. Estes is run by hobby people. Semroc makes so much cool stuff. Exclesior Rocketry can make decals for anything classic. More new motors coming out every week. Quest has some new kits and more on the way. Red River Rocketry, ARG, FlisKits. Electronic payloads. I'm sure I forgot a few (dozen). :o

Yep, things are pretty good for us. Now, I just to win the lottery so I can buy it all! :D

Bob

Doug Sams 07-16-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
2000. Let's see. Hmm. Semroc was still a few years away. FlisKits? ;)
2000 saw the rise of lots of BARs. In my case, my interest was rekindled with the video release of October Sky in the fall of 99. I can't help but think lots of others were similarly affected.

Doug

stefanj 07-16-2010 11:09 PM

Things are really, really, good now.

But I'm worried about the future of the hobby.

It has nothing to do with the motors available, or what of our favorite old kits are now on sale.

It's the lack of new blood. Young rocketeers.

I know the various dads here are doing a great job with their kids, and I have friends who run cub scout events.

But we REALLY need to ramp things up. Find launch fields, hold demo flights, help teachers, and etcetera.

The decrease in hobby shops hurts things a lot. It is great that Wal-Mart and Target and such carry kits and motors at low, low prices, but the chances of a "launch set" purchased with the wrong motors at Discount O Rama leading to a long-term commitment to the hobby is very low.

LeeR 07-16-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
2000 saw the rise of lots of BARs. In my case, my interest was rekindled with the video release of October Sky in the fall of 99. I can't help but think lots of others were similarly affected.

Doug

I'd have to agree. I got into HPR in1992, but by the late 90s, I was burned out with all the regulations, and the hassles, of flying. What I discovered was that many of my HPR model building ideas were heading towards upscaled Estes stuff. (I still have all the parts I made for a 2.4X, 7 foot tall Trident, just short the 3 balsa cones at the top of the outer tubes.)

Seeing October Sky really made me realize that rocketry in adulthood was all about recreating the childhood experience (but on a bigger budget). :)

o1d_dude 07-16-2010 11:24 PM

Yes, we are the Renaissance Rocket Men.

Speaking for myself, I retired from 39 years of the daily grind and now I can do pretty much anything I want. Mostly it's rockets these days. The downside of this is that I live in the PRC where launching rockets in the neighborhood park is a crime.

The plus side is that I have the time and the disposable income to buy rockets, motors, decals, and gear for my hobby and to travel to launches as the spirit moves me.

Start your retirement planning NOW!

Randy 07-17-2010 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=GregGleason] Could it be that we are now in a "Rocketry Renaissance"? :)

Well..... while I'd say over all, things are better now than at times in the past, as with all things perception varies from person to person. Having been involved to some degree for 42 years, for me I'd say it's a mini renaissance, - not full blown. I would need to see a larger range of NASA rockets routinely available. Way back when, most of the kits we're all wanting to see re-released were always available, not just produced as limited supply every 10-12 years.

But there are many positives now with all the various manufacturers of kits, ability to clone, clone and decal suppliers, or build from scratch and the internet to assist, but there are several negatives too, from a single widely available bp motor supplier to the ATF situation, to litagation possibilities; are some of the things we didn't have to worry so much about years ago. Yes, Quest makes engines too but compared to the availibility of estes Quest engines are non existant by comparison.

I think things are in good shape for now but not quite a for real renaissance. Hopefully Estes and other manufacturers will make enough money from recent offerings and those soon to come, to convince them to continue the trend.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Shreadvector 07-19-2010 08:29 AM

At the moment, there is ZERO rocketry product at virtually every Wal-Mart and Micheals in the USA. If there is any left on the shelf, it is a fluke.

So, the real questions are:

Will the products return (Estes or Quest?)?

If not, what happens to the future if there is no source of new rocket flyers with no local retail stores of any kind selling Model Rockets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Things are really, really, good now.

But I'm worried about the future of the hobby.

It has nothing to do with the motors available, or what of our favorite old kits are now on sale.

It's the lack of new blood. Young rocketeers.

I know the various dads here are doing a great job with their kids, and I have friends who run cub scout events.

But we REALLY need to ramp things up. Find launch fields, hold demo flights, help teachers, and etcetera.

The decrease in hobby shops hurts things a lot. It is great that Wal-Mart and Target and such carry kits and motors at low, low prices, but the chances of a "launch set" purchased with the wrong motors at Discount O Rama leading to a long-term commitment to the hobby is very low.

Doug Sams 07-19-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Will the products return (Estes or Quest?)?

If not, what happens to the future if there is no source of new rocket flyers with no local retail stores of any kind selling Model Rockets?
It's a valid question, and a real concern.

OTOH, in 1969 when I got my start, there were no local stores of any kind selling rocketry stuff - department stores OR local hobby shops. We had to mail order everything. So not having rocket stuff at WalMart isn't the end of the world, but the change in overall volumes could affect us by a shift in price point and a change (reduction) in choice of motors and kits. Although, some might argue that the WalMart channel had been driving a reduction in motor types.

Anyway, the one thought I had was that Bill Stine has probably been on the phone with Michael's HQ a lot lately :) Seriously, as the Hobbico acquisition of Estes plays out, I anticipate some great opportunities for Quest and other vendors to step in where Estes has pulled out.

Doug