Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   CC Express Bashing (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=68)

tbzep 03-27-2005 04:03 PM

CC Express Bashing

I picked up several CC Express kits on clearance for $3 at Hobby Lobby. I might build one stock, but I'm looking for bashing ideas for the rest. I know that the NC is the same as the Cherokee-D, so I'm looking for other ideas.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-27-2005 07:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Wow, someone just asked this same question on OldRockets. Must have been a run on CC Express kits. Get yours before they're all gobbled up. ;)
Actually I came here to post pics of my Sky Raider.

Ltvscout 03-27-2005 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Wow, someone just asked this same question on OldRockets. Must have been a run on CC Express kits. Get yours before they're all gobbled up. ;)
Actually I came here to post pics of my Sky Raider.

Heh, that was the same person. Tim and tbzep are one in the same. ;)

tbzep 03-27-2005 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout

Yep, that's me! I wanted to post over here to help get the forum going. Since the Yahoo group's search feature doesn't work (for me anyway), it would be nice to get a good base of searchable information in YORF.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-27-2005 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout

Ya think? :eek:

Ltvscout 03-27-2005 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Yep, that's me! I wanted to post over here to help get the forum going. Since the Yahoo group's search feature doesn't work (for me anyway), it would be nice to get a good base of searchable information in YORF.

There are many, many pluses to having the talk of old rockets and such in a forum such as this vs the yahoo mailing list. The issue you stated above is just one of them. If everyone could get the word out to their friends letting them know of this new site it will help get the ball rolling in the right direction.

I know Bill likes being able to post his pictures right in his messages. ;) It's also much easier to follow a message thread in a forum then it is via email messages or trying to search through Yahoo's mess.

I'm not trying to compete with TRF. They have a great site in its own right, but it is more of a general rocketry site. I wanted something that focused on the subject we like best, old rockets!

six-o-one 03-30-2005 01:05 PM

Hey guys, new here so bear with me if I mess up. Anyway, just got back into rockets last summer after 25 years away, and was just getting around to maybe using that CC Express kit to clone the old Estes Vigilante. It was the first two-stage I ever built, and I am kind of in that mode, as I just completed Thrustlines clone of the Cherokee-D, my first kit ever. Have to get up the nerve to cut my own BTs for the first time though, that Vigilante booster is only 2.75" as opposed to 4" or so on the CC Express.

Chas Russell 03-30-2005 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-o-one
Hey guys, new here so bear with me if I mess up. Anyway, just got back into rockets last summer after 25 years away, and was just getting around to maybe using that CC Express kit to clone the old Estes Vigilante. It was the first two-stage I ever built, and I am kind of in that mode, as I just completed Thrustlines clone of the Cherokee-D, my first kit ever. Have to get up the nerve to cut my own BTs for the first time though, that Vigilante booster is only 2.75" as opposed to 4" or so on the CC Express.

I have a couple of CC Express kits, but haven't actually opened one. Whenever you cut a tube, place a tube coupler (or if a small diameter an expended motor case) centered on the point to be cut. If I am not using my trusty ol' CMR tube cutter, I wrap two or three layers of masking tape at the point to cut and use a new or still very sharp xacto blade. I normally wrap the tape on the part of the tube I plan on using, so that if the blade slips, the excess tube is what is cut. Take it slow and make several passes instead of attempting to cut through it in one pass. Experience is a great teacher.

Chas

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-30-2005 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Experience is a great teacher.

Chas

Yes, experience has taught me that putting lightning bugs in your mouth can give you bad breath. It taught my neighbor not to press the ignition button on a gas grill when the gas has been on with the lid closed for several minutes. It taught one of my friends not to attempt to tackle a sticker tree.

six-o-one 03-30-2005 03:09 PM

Thanks, Chas. Sounds simple enough, just have to jump in and get it done. If I can do that, it will be a pretty easy conversion. Find me a PNC-AO and cut the fins and off we go. I appreciate the help. Should be pretty cool, I have an old slide, yes, I said slide, of my original Vigilante leaving the pad (with a 13 year-old me in the background). Think I will try to get a shot of the new one leaving the pad with me in it when I get it done, 28 years later.