Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wanted pdrocketry gemini titan estes k21 clone (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16976)

dwmzmm 02-04-2018 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
Here's my 2 cents: if you are making an Estes K-21 clone, then do it according to the original plans: Balsa nose cone, dowel trusses, paper shrouds, etc. If you are using 3D parts and vinyl wraps, you are an assembler, not a craftsman builder. Something a 10 year old could do. It may look good on your display shelf, but what have you actually learned, and what skills have you acquired or honed? I know a lot of people will disagree, especially the younger ones. But I get a great deal more satisfaction when I accomplish something that is challenging, rather than easy, no matter how good it looks. (Grumble, grumble, slipping dentures back in). ;)

I really enjoyed building and flying the PDRocketry clone of the Estes kit. Was not a perfect build, but the satisfaction was nevertheless remarkable.

astronwolf 02-04-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
If you are using 3D parts and vinyl wraps, you are an assembler, not a craftsman builder. Something a 10 year old could do. It may look good on your display shelf, but what have you actually learned, and what skills have you acquired or honed?

Is it required that one must always strive to be learning, acquiring, or honing skills when building a model rocket?

BARGeezer 02-04-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Is it required that one must always strive to be learning, acquiring, or honing skills when building a model rocket?

Not a requirement, but a choice and preference. Same as choosing a level 3-5 kit to build (or clone or scratch build) rather than an E2X or RTF kit. There's a place for those, but I'll leave those for the beginners. Just freely expressing my opinion, one of the perks of being an American.

BARGeezer 02-04-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I really enjoyed building and flying the PDRocketry clone of the Estes kit. Was not a perfect build, but the satisfaction was nevertheless remarkable.

Excellent work by a true craftsman. Saw your review on EMRR. Very concise and informative. Too bad the company is no longer in business, I might have ordered the kit. Instead wound up building a clone from the original design, parts from erockets, clear plastic stock from Hobbylinc. Had to relearn how to cut clear plastic fins. I had done it once as a kid building the Thor Agena, but this time using the old score and snap method gave me mixed results. Wound up using an oscillating tool. Easy peasy, nice straight cuts and no throwaways.

tdracer 12-11-2018 04:12 PM

I recently came across one of the PDR Gemini-Titan clones in my storage locker - original sealed bag (I sort of forgot I had it).
I've sold off most of my rocket kit collection on ebay over the last year or so - I made my wife get rid of a bunch of her stuff on the condition that I'd do the same to my rocketry collection.
Anyway, I'm planning to put the PDR clone up on ebay, but if someone wants to make a preemptive offer PM me.
Tim

leftover 12-11-2018 05:25 PM

pm sent

ghrocketman 12-11-2018 06:15 PM

Interested.