Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Jupiter C clone or kit (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16277)

leftover 10-15-2016 11:27 PM

Jupiter C clone or kit

How often does the old estes kit come up?
I have seen Dr Zooch kit but like the idea of the bigger Estes
If its hard to find how hard is it to clone?

MarkB. 10-16-2016 06:48 AM

It comes up fairly often and doesn't seem to have suffered the inflation of some other kits.

It's not hard to clone at all -- simply buy a Mercury-Redstone, which is readily available, save the capsule for a Little Joe I build, trim the body tube to the correct length and buy the Sirius Rocketry clone nose. Done.

There are a number of 3-D printed Redstone parts available on Shapeways but they are on the pricey side.

K'Tesh 10-16-2016 07:51 PM

You don't really need to even purchase the MR, with the fin patterns that are out on the web. Then you can buy the appropriate body tube and other hardware from your favorite supplier.

My modification may be useful to you though.

I cut out a fin from 1/32" ply, then applied the balsa fins over that. makes keeping the leading edge a lot easier.

aeppel_cpm 10-17-2016 07:47 AM

I'm not fussy when it comes to scaling. I had a friend print up a Jupiter nose cone from thingiverse and pop it on top of my Mercury Redstone kit when I want a bit of a change.

Finishing the 3D print was a bit of a pain.

tbzep 10-17-2016 09:18 AM

If you clone it, you might want to look at cloning the MR fins instead. The Jupiter C kit has way oversized fin tips compared to the MR and looks terrible if you display them side beside. You'd probably have to add a bit more nose weight to compensate, but it will be worth it if you want to display it next to a MR model.

leftover 10-17-2016 12:04 PM

Great
Thanks for the tips!!
Question though, only nosecone /explorer I found on Sirius say thu are for a BT20 from molding oldies.
Isnt the MR bt60 based?

aeppel_cpm 10-17-2016 01:36 PM

The MR is a 2" tube. Centuri ST20, I think. That BT/ST can be tricky.

tbzep 10-17-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftover
Great
Thanks for the tips!!
Question though, only knows nosecone /explorer I found on Sirius say thu are for a BT20 from molding oldies.
Isnt the MR bt60 based?

The MR/Jupiter C is Centuri ST20 based. IIRC, the Estes name for it is BT-67. They are 2" dia tubes.

The earliest Estes MR was BT60 based. It is a 1.637" diameter tube.

leftover 10-17-2016 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The MR/Jupiter C is Centuri ST20 based. IIRC, the Estes name for it is BT-67. They are 2" dia tubes.

The earliest Estes MR was BT60 based. It is a 1.637" diameter tube.

Thanks for that.
I been in rocketry since late 60s but back then we were more About build me quick and get up in the air🙄 Can't tell you how many mosquitos scouts and alphas we lost.
Never paid much attention to scratch build or clones.

Now if I want the kits from my youth and teens have no choice to pay $$$ or clone
Thanks for all the help.

I bought the Dr Zooch kit nad it's nice just like the looks of the big ones too.

So is the Jupiter the body length as the Redstone or was it shorter

leftover 10-17-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
I'm not fussy when it comes to scaling. I had a friend print up a Jupiter nose cone from thingiverse and pop it on top of my Mercury Redstone kit when I want a bit of a change.

Finishing the 3D print was a bit of a pain.

I am in the middle of a k-21 GT clone upscaled on a BT 80.
bought the shapeways spacecraft nozzles and interstate hope they finish well.