Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rare Rocket Technology CorporationV-2 Plastic Flying Model Rocket Kit (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15781)

ManofSteele 02-18-2016 02:28 PM

Rare Rocket Technology CorporationV-2 Plastic Flying Model Rocket Kit

5 Attachment(s)
Manufactured in the late 1960s, this 1/50th scale V-2 kit was far ahead of it’s time. The use of two part, injection molded body halves, fins, and nose cone was well before Estes/Damon used them in kits. Molded in light yellow plastic, this unique design did not use a paper body tubes for motor mount, either – the only paper tube in the whole kit is the launch lug (which almost appears to have been forgotten when the molded parts were made and added afterwards). Packaged in a colorful 9’ x 5.5” x 1.5” box, the model stands about 10.375” tall and is 1.5” in diameter. The shock cord is the standard 1/8” wide rubber strip that was popular at that time in the hobby. A 15” red and white plastic parachute completes the kit. It looks like is would fly great on the recommended 1/2A-6-4, A6-4, B6-4, and B6-6 motors, while a C6-5 motor would send it clean out of sight.

These kits are very rare, and I was surprised to come into a few of them lately. I have one up for sale on eBay now.

The V-2 kits were an offshoot of Rocket Technology Corporation, which had plans to compete with Vern Estes in the early 1960s. Founded by John Rahkonen, the company ran into production problems making black powder A, B, & C motors.

John Rahkonen worked professionally at Morton-Thiokol in Utah, where he directed research and development of their rocket propellant development laboratory. He is credited with work on developing the solid rocket motor propellant used in the detachable boosters of the NASA Space Shuttle.

Rahkonen's work with ammonium perchlorate composite propellant would eventually trickle down into the hobby rocketry community. G. Harry Stine introduced the hobby community to Rahkonen in a 1963 issue of American Modeler magazine with the mention of a new model rocket company called Scientific Amateur Supply Company (SASCO), located in Ogden, Utah.
SASCO would go on become Propulsion Dynamics, more commonly known in the hobby as Prodyne, which would bring three model rockets to the market; the Swift, Swallow and Skylark. In addition to the three kits were three black power rocket motors; a D2, an E2 and an F2, called "Cyclone" motors, utilizing plastic cases and ceramic nozzles. Rahkonen and Prodyne would eventually go on to develop and market a K700 composite high power rocket motor that was available in the early 90's.

Rahkonen's history with rocket propellant and the ties to other model rocketry luminaries from the past were a direct result of his employment at Thiokol's solid rocket propellant plant in Brigham City, Utah, where he worked with Irving S. Wait and George Roos, creating composite rocket motors used in the United States' intercontinental ballistic missile program. Wait was the founder of Rocket Development Corporation (RDC), the creator of the Enerjet composite model rocket motors, and Roos founded Flight Systems, Inc. (FSI).

Initiator001 02-18-2016 02:53 PM

I have a couple of these models in my collection.

Matt, do you have any additional background about RDC?

ManofSteele 02-18-2016 05:01 PM

You are likely one of the few who has them, then. I did get a few of them years ago from John.

I don't have much else on ProDyne, though I did run across something in the Stine Archives that announced the motor certification.... in 1964!!!!

Matt

hcmbanjo 02-18-2016 05:31 PM

That's Matt,
Great post - history and pictures.

LeeR 02-18-2016 06:38 PM

That kit is in amazing condition for its age! I'd be a little nervous flying it without a paper motor tube, I'd fear the styrene motor tube would not hold up over time. Then again, I'd maybe fly it once and retire it. :)

I've got several DML 1/35 V-2 plastic model kits I bought years ago for PMC. They look to be a pretty easy conversion. At 1/35 scale, they are just shy of 2" (49mm) in diameter. The molded detailing on them is very nice.

tbzep 02-19-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
– the only paper tube in the whole kit is the launch lug (which almost appears to have been forgotten when the molded parts were made and added afterwards).

To keep the mold simple, some plastic kits use small plastic loops for launch lugs that allow air to pass out of the tube. This may be why he didn't have the mold set up for lugs. Another reason might have been to get some sales in the plastic modeler (static model) crowd that wouldn't like the extra junk hanging off of it.

blackshire 02-20-2016 12:17 PM

Oh my...thank you for posting those pictures and the information! This is the type of model rocket that 3D printing will make practical, plastic ones that *don't* cost a fortune to tool-up for, and that can be made with proper thicknesses of plastic where it's appropriate.