Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Cardstock Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Gluing 24lb. paper onto a body tube (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11189)

vigilante 05-30-2012 02:11 PM

Gluing 24lb. paper onto a body tube

What is the recommended way of gluing regular 24lb printer paper onto a body tube without getting wrinkles, bubbles, tearing and what not? I got spray adhesive but that stuff never seems to dry completely.

mycrofte 05-30-2012 06:01 PM

The only thing I have for that is white glue. The best thing I have learned is using as little as humanly possible!

nukemmcssret 05-30-2012 06:15 PM

Glue one end of it perfectly straight along a line you drew on the tube. G lue this good and let it dry as said above use the least amount. Once the seam has dried. aroll the paper around the tube and put a rubber band or something to hold it tight. Let this set for a good day. This will train your paper to wrap around the tube. When ready remove rubber band and an inch or two at a time glue the paper to the tube. Use the least amount of glue you can. Like two drops and sread it on the tube then roll the paper over it. When that sets do it again. For a small tube twice is good. Once you set the paper, be careful not to rub it too much, it will tear. Then seal it with your favorite sealer. Let me know if you do it this way. Chief :D

carbons4 05-31-2012 08:59 AM

gluing down

Just a question.........Have you tried thinning down the glue? First DO NOT USE SCHOOL GLUE. Use the good Elmers white glue and thin it down with 91% isopropol and mix it to the consistancy of thin snot. I would get a couple pieces of ground rod stiff enough to roll it between. That would be my first thought.

MarkB. 05-31-2012 12:01 PM

And use an old credit card to spread it really thin.

carbons4 05-31-2012 12:14 PM

Yes. Spread it even but very thin.

CPMcGraw 05-31-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilante
What is the recommended way of gluing regular 24lb printer paper onto a body tube without getting wrinkles, bubbles, tearing and what not? I got spray adhesive but that stuff never seems to dry completely.

Question -- Why not start with sticky-back label paper to begin with? It's about the same thickness/weight/consistency as printer paper, but with the adhesive already applied. And, you can run it through a laser printer or ink-jet printer to apply patterns, if needed. The final seal can be a drop of thin CA at the lap joint applied through one of those very tiny Teflon tubes or a squeeze-bulb applicator.

jeffyjeep 05-31-2012 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
MY adhesive of choice for glueing cardstock when there can be absolutely NO wrinkles or puckers is Alleene's Super Tacky white glue.

I use it exclusively for the aeroshrouds on vintage Quest kits (X-30, HL-20, M2Q2, Delta Clipper) and it's never failed me.

jeffyjeep 05-31-2012 08:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
As you can see on this Quest Delta Clipper, I laid a heavy bead of Aleene's around the inside bottom rim of the aeroshroud, but it didn't pucker or distort the outside surface.

Gus 05-31-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Question -- Why not start with sticky-back label paper to begin with? It's about the same thickness/weight/consistency as printer paper, but with the adhesive already applied. And, you can run it through a laser printer or ink-jet printer to apply patterns, if needed. The final seal can be a drop of thin CA at the lap joint applied through one of those very tiny Teflon tubes or a squeeze-bulb applicator.

I'm a big fan of full-sheet label paper as well. I don't do anything special to the seam. I just spray the entire rocket with several coats of clear spray paint and it creates a "shell" over the label paper that keeps it in place.