Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   A Few Of The New BARCLONE Designs (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=98)

CPMcGraw 04-12-2005 10:30 AM

A Few Of The New BARCLONE Designs

5 Attachment(s)
Since the forum allows image attachments, I thought I'd share a few new designs with everyone while the plans are being put in place...

From left to right, we have:

1. Ascender (ST-7, 18mm)

2. Blue Sneek (ST-10, 18mm)

3. Gryphon (ST-7, 18mm)

4. Hawk (2-stage, ST-7 to ST-8, 18mm standard, 13mm if we ever get boosters)

5. Stryker (ST-10, 18mm)

More to come...

Craig McGraw

ShieldWolf 04-12-2005 07:30 PM

Cool designs. When do we get to see the plans?

Randal

CPMcGraw 04-12-2005 09:44 PM

The plans should be popping up on the website "real soon now"; the last of this series was sent up to our "Fearless Leader" just before NARAM.

Craig.

Ltvscout 04-12-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
The plans should be popping up on the website "real soon now"; the last of this series was sent up to our "Fearless Leader" just before NARAM.

Craig.

Hehe. I like using the RSN as well. Yes, I have lots of stuff to add to the various sites. Unfortunately, all I've been able to find has been square tuits as of late. There hasn't been a round tuit in sight for awhile now. I will attempt to start popping some of Craig's many BARCLONE plans up this weekend.

BTW, the BARCLONE site is open to EVERYONE's original plans. So if you've designed a cool looking kit, send the info over to have it featured there along with Craig's designs.

Tau Zero 04-15-2005 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
From left to right, we have:

2. Blue Sneek (ST-10, 18mm)

Cool designs, Craig! I was recently messing around with a "stretch" version of the Estes Missile Command "Navy" bird, and came up with vaguely similar design (even ST-10 and 18mm!) to your "Blue Sneek." :o

Great minds think alike, apparently. :p

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw 04-15-2005 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Cool designs, Craig! I was recently messing around with a "stretch" version of the Estes Missile Command "Navy" bird, and came up with vaguely similar design (even ST-10 and 18mm!) to your "Blue Sneek." :o

Great minds think alike, apparently. :p

Cheers,

--Jay

Thanks!

I've got two more versions of this design floating around in my head, both "stretch" models with a 4" payload section, one with a booster for two-stage operation.

This first version is already built, just needing the final paint job and some decals.

Scott is also going to post a RKT file of an "up-scaled" version, using SEMROC's BT-175 and BC-175 components, and with a 29mm mount. It still needs some attention to final details, but I think someone could build a nice version from it.

Craig.

Tau Zero 04-16-2005 12:41 PM

Estes "Missile Command" Navy

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
I was recently messing around with a "stretch" version of the Estes Missile Command "Navy" bird,
Here's another version of the picture. This one's exported from the demo version of RockSim 8 (which means the image resolution is much higher). :D

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-16-2005 01:38 PM

Quote:
Cool designs, Craig! Great minds think alike, apparently. :p

I've heard that before. What do you think explains you and Craig? :D

CPMcGraw 04-16-2005 01:41 PM

Quote:
Here's another version of the picture. This one's exported from the demo version of RockSim 8 (which means the image resolution is much higher). :D

Looks really good, Jay. Try 'up-sizing' to SEMROC's 175 series, and you'll see some incredible simulation flights on 29mm. Why not work something up and post it to BARCLONE? :cool:

My "inspiration" for the Blue Sneek was a combination of Estes 'Sea Strike D' and Quest 'Navaho AGM' kits. I think I had also seen the 'Navy Bird' and it may have played a part in the fin shape. I didn't want an 'exact' copy of any of these, but something with a 'family' feel.

What I really liked about the final design, especially once I could hold it in my hands, was the overall proportions. The ST-10 body tube is a really good choice for this model. It is not quite as anorexic as it would have been using either BT-50 or ST-8, and it isn't as overweight as it would have been using either BT-55 or ST-13. It winds up being about the same size overall as SEMROC's version of the Astro-1 and the Astrobee-350.

Craig

Tau Zero 04-16-2005 05:35 PM

Thinking Alike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
What do you think explains you and Craig? :D
Where's the emoticon for "frothing at the mouth?" :eek:

At least, that explains me. For Craig, apparently it's just sheer coincidence.