Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Better Pictures? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=237)

1320 06-22-2005 09:18 AM

Better Pictures?

Recently purchased an off the shelf rocket that takes a photograph during recovery. Well, all my photos are of the clouds, that's cool but I'd like some ground shots now. Can you control the recovery to the point that the rocket is on it's way down before it pops the 'chute?

Can it be controlled by adding weight or maybe a different engine?

Help!

Thanks;

Jamie
Lexington, KY

Ltvscout 06-22-2005 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320
Recently purchased an off the shelf rocket that takes a photograph during recovery. Well, all my photos are of the clouds, that's cool but I'd like some ground shots now. Can you control the recovery to the point that the rocket is on it's way down before it pops the 'chute?

Can it be controlled by adding weight or maybe a different engine?

Help!

Thanks;

Jamie
Lexington, KY

What size engine are you using, Jamie? What you need is one with a longer delay.

1320 06-22-2005 09:34 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! Using the engines that came with it but don't recall the numbers, maybe C6-5's....

What is the longest delay engine in the C class?

Ltvscout 06-22-2005 09:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply! Using the engines that came with it but don't recall the numbers, maybe C6-5's....

What is the longest delay engine in the C class?

If they are C6-5's you'll want to use C6-7's which is the longest delay available in the C class motors.

1320 06-22-2005 09:39 AM

Great. Thanks a million. Will give it a try and post results.

Ltvscout 06-22-2005 09:40 AM

Quote:
Great. Thanks a million. Will give it a try and post results.

Cool. If you have a scanner, scan the photos to post here after your flights.

1320 06-22-2005 09:42 AM

Indeed.

1320 07-05-2005 01:59 PM

The C6-7 did the trick Ltv...thanks. As luck would have it, the rubberband holding the nose/camera in place was burnt in two when the chute popped! I did see it fall but was unable to locate it (knee deep weed field). It gets worse.....the body landed in the road and was promptly ran over by a car!

Much to my surprise, my three year old found much humour in this! We've had better flights but this one was the best if you ask him! Thank goodness we had fireworks to back up the rocket "show".

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-05-2005 04:05 PM

Quote:
The C6-7 did the trick Ltv...thanks. As luck would have it, the rubberband holding the nose/camera in place was burnt in two when the chute popped! I did see it fall but was unable to locate it (knee deep weed field). It gets worse.....the body landed in the road and was promptly ran over by a car!

Much to my surprise, my three year old found much humour in this! We've had better flights but this one was the best if you ask him! Thank goodness we had fireworks to back up the rocket "show".

If, and when, you buy a new AstroCam, definitely give a thought to upgrading your recovery system with Kevlar and sewing elastic. I think the #1 problem that I've heard of from AstroCam owners over the years has been shock cord burn-through. Mine somehow managed to survive its many flights, but I doubt that I'd push my luck with the stock shock cord if I were to fly it today.
If your three year old is anything like my son was, he'll be remembering this for the rest of his life. :D

Tau Zero 07-06-2005 12:04 AM

Bigger Kevlar: "Mmm, *beefy!*"

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
If, and when, you buy a new AstroCam, definitely give a thought to upgrading your recovery system with Kevlar and sewing elastic. I think the #1 problem that I've heard of from AstroCam owners over the years has been shock cord burn-through.

600 or 1000 lb. Kevlar and 1/4" wide sewing elastic (maybe about 3 feet of each, Bill?) would probably be overkill for some folks :eek: in comparison to the standard ~100 lb. Kevlar (e.g., SEMROC), but not for the AstroCam, I think. :D

Look for the thicker Kevlar toward the lower right hand corner here:

http://www.rocketparachutes.com/prices.html

Cheers,

--Jay