Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Estes Green Motors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4411)

Bob H 12-30-2008 01:37 PM

Estes Green Motors

4 Attachment(s)
I'm pretty sure that I saw a thread about green colored motors on YORF some time back.

Anyways, on Christmas day, my sister in-law gave me 4 packs of Estes motors that had belonged to her late husband. They were in the blue diamond tubes and there was one tube of A8-3's, two tubes of B6-4's and one tube of C6-3's.

When I took them out of the tubes, I was surprised to find that they were the green colored motors. The nozzles on these are smaller than current motors of the same type.

When I asked how they were stored, I was told they had been in an unheated attic up here in the northeast for probably the last 30+ years. I assume that they are CATO's waiting to happen.

I was thinking that I could build a few Midnight Express paper rockets to see what happens since they have had severe temperature cycling but them decided to see if anyone wanted them.

I am not a motor collector so they don't have any more value to me than a current motor, but I understand that there are a few collectors out there. I am planning to attend NARCON in Connecticut this year so I can bring them with me if there is any interest.

Pictures:
1. Blue diamond tubes.
2. One each of green A8-3, B6-4, C63.
3. Nozzle comparison with current motors. L - R: A8-3, B6-4, C6-3
4. Nozzles with a scale in the picture just because Terry Dean is going to ask for one. L - R: A8-3, B6-4, C6-3

Leo 12-30-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
.. NARCON .. this year ....

? :) ....

Bob H 12-30-2008 03:00 PM

NARCON is the annual national NAR Convention.

It is held in different parts of the country and ususlly too far away for me to attend but this year it's supposed to be held in Connecticut so it's going to be less than 2 hours drive for me.

shockwaveriderz 12-30-2008 03:26 PM

thanks Bob1 and great pics too!

terry dean

Leo 12-30-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:
NARCON is the annual national NAR Convention.

It is held in different parts of the country and ususlly too far away for me to attend but this year it's supposed to be held in Connecticut so it's going to be less than 2 hours drive for me.

so you're saying you'll be attending the event tomorrow on the 31st? :)

Bob H 12-30-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
so you're saying you'll be attending the event tomorrow on the 31st? :)
OK, next year

rokitflite 12-31-2008 08:21 AM

Where in Connecticut is it??? :confused:

billspad 12-31-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Where in Connecticut is it??? :confused:

http://www.narcon2009.org/

Wethersfield, CT

lurker01 12-31-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I saw a thread about green colored motors on YORF some time back.

Anyways, on Christmas day, my sister in-law gave me 4 packs of Estes motors that had belonged to her late husband. They were in the blue diamond tubes and there was one tube of A8-3's, two tubes of B6-4's and one tube of C6-3's.

When I took them out of the tubes, I was surprised to find that they were the green colored motors. The nozzles on these are smaller than current motors of the same type.

When I asked how they were stored, I was told they had been in an unheated attic up here in the northeast for probably the last 30+ years. I assume that they are CATO's waiting to happen.

I was thinking that I could build a few Midnight Express paper rockets to see what happens since they have had severe temperature cycling but them decided to see if anyone wanted them.

I am not a motor collector so they don't have any more value to me than a current motor, but I understand that there are a few collectors out there. I am planning to attend NARCON in Connecticut this year so I can bring them with me if there is any interest.

Pictures:
1. Blue diamond tubes.
2. One each of green A8-3, B6-4, C63.
3. Nozzle comparison with current motors. L - R: A8-3, B6-4, C6-3
4. Nozzles with a scale in the picture just because Terry Dean is going to ask for one. L - R: A8-3, B6-4, C6-3

Bo, I wouldn't recommend burning these. The Blue and Green papered motors are VERY rare. Back in 1971 or so, the motor department ran out of the brown motor paper and there was some delay in the replacement shipment. They happened to have Green and Blue rolls laying around that were used for some other project. So being the resourceful bunch they were, they used the Blue and Green paper until the brown arrived.

Needless to say, the Green and Blue motors are very rare and I recommend that you send me one of each to pay for the information I just provided you, and save the rest. You can always find old motors with the brown paper and prove your CATO-theories with them.

Bob

Peartree 12-31-2008 10:41 AM

So if I had never been to ANY of the NAR national events (and I haven't) and I had to choose only one (and I probably do), should I go to CT for NARCON in March (which might be possible) or to Pittsburgh for NARAM (which would be much closer) for several days?