Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The rocket that got away...Estes Mosquito (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4300)

UPscaler 12-14-2008 12:33 AM

The rocket that got away...Estes Mosquito

I want the kit... i bought 18" of BT-5 and a whole mess of 1/16 inch balsa. I just feel it's not the same as opening that kit, and building the entire rocket in 20 minutes.

Also, everyone i have found selling BNC-5 nose cones, want $1.05 for them, ouch.

Had i known that they were going to be so hard to find, i wouldn't have used A10 motors on the last one's found in my basement. :rolleyes:

dwmzmm 12-14-2008 12:49 AM

Lost all the Mosquitos I've ever had, every single one of them. And on their first (and only)
flights, too. After the third lost model, I said to myself "That's it; I'm not getting these anymore!" I've had better success (and longevity) with classics such as the Astron Scout,
from which I got numerous flights from 1969 until early 2004, when I finally lost it on a C6-7 :mad: :(

Ltvscout 12-14-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPscaler
I want the kit... i bought 18" of BT-5 and a whole mess of 1/16 inch balsa. I just feel it's not the same as opening that kit, and building the entire rocket in 20 minutes.

Not the Mosquito, but darn close. You can get three for one with our Triple Zip. 13mm, 18mm and 24mm. Check it out at http://tmrk.rocketshoppe.com/triple.htm

That's my eldest daughter in the one pic about 9 years ago. She's a Sophmore in HS now. Boy, time sure files. :(

barone 12-14-2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Also, everyone i have found selling BNC-5 nose cones, want $1.05 for them, ouch.

Had i known that they were going to be so hard to find, i wouldn't have used A10 motors on the last one's found in my basement. :rolleyes:

Now, of course you realize the Estes Mosquito is OOP..... :D

PM me an address and I'll see if I can get you one to produce......probably open bag so you won't get the enjoyment of actually opening the bag but if that matters, I can tape it closed for you..... ;)

jj94 12-14-2008 12:17 PM

Why not modify it to fly on MicroMaxx?

bob jablonski 12-14-2008 03:53 PM

Or you coukld try a C6 in a Micro or go totaly goofy and put a D21 in it (yes they will take it).
But dont expect getting it back unless you are an eagle eye.
Mr. Bob
Starlight guy

sandman 12-14-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

If you want to get really cheap, instead of 1/16th balsa just use popsicle sticks (craft sticks) for fins.

A little extra weight won't hurt the performance that much.

That will also cut the building time from 20 minutes to 15! :D

ghrocketman 12-15-2008 10:21 AM

I once launched a Mosquito on an old Centuri B4-5M full-B mini-motor.
It went nearly into orbit but was actually recovered. It was painted fluorescent orange and black and was easily spotted (eventually) against the snow-covered landing area.
Unless it landed over snow I don't think it would have been found.

UPscaler 12-15-2008 09:10 PM

C6 is 18mm if I'm not mistaken, Or is it not an Estes motor?

dwmzmm 12-15-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:
C6 is 18mm if I'm not mistaken, Or is it not an Estes motor?

Yes, C6 is 18 mm, and Estes & Quest sells it. The Estes Mosquito used the 13 mm engines;
didn't matter, as I still lost all of mine anyway.