Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vote for Your Favorite Bill Simon Design! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16827)

Jerry Irvine 09-16-2017 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactyl
Bill Simon will be at The Museum of Flight on September 23rd in Seattle as we salute the venerable Astron Alpha. During his career at Estes Bill designed at least 18 of the early K-kit era products including the Alpha.
He will see a quite big one. I hope he signs it.

stefanj 09-17-2017 11:09 AM

Farside-X flew yesterday. CCC = WAY zoomie. I lost sight of the top stage shortly after it zipped away.

Got a lot of "WOW" out of that flight.

I got everything back, thanks to an unknown person who found the sustainer way out at he far end of the field. It was really beat up. I'm thinking of making a new main body. I'll skip the spin-fins and make it a couple of inches longer, so I can pack really long surveyor's tape streamer in addition to (or even instead of) a parachute.

I have an Avenger clone. I think it is intact. I'd like to start the paperwork to use discontinued motors, and fly it on a B14-0 / B4-6 combo.

The Farside on a B14-0 / B6-0 / A8-5 would be interesting; fast boost, good altitude but not insane!

Doug Sams 09-17-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Farside-X flew yesterday. CCC = WAY zoomie. I lost sight of the top stage shortly after it zipped away.

<snip>

I'm thinking of making a new main body. I'll skip the spin-fins and make it a couple of inches longer, so I can pack really long surveyor's tape streamer in addition to (or even instead of) a parachute.
FWIW, on mine, I joined the payload section to the airframe to convert it to noseblow. That makes a lot more room for recovery.

Plus, the long payload section imparts a lot of moment at the transition which I fear over time will make it a loose fit (which I don't want to deal with :) )

Doug

Jerry Irvine 09-17-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I'd like to start the paperwork to use discontinued motors
What is that paperwork?

LeeR 09-17-2017 09:58 PM

Flew my Astron Cobra last month for its maiden flight, on B6-4 motors. Beautiful flight. Meant to fly it you yesterday at Chili Blaster in Pueblo on C6-5s, but just ran out of time. I am working on an upscale Cobra using BT-80 body, but it will have four 24 mm motors so fins can go thru wall to joints of the motor tubes. Always loved the Farside-X and never had one. I built an Apogee II as a kid instead -- it was like a whole dollar cheaper (!), and one less engine meant I might actually ha able to afford motors to fly it. One of thes days I'll build a Farside-X. I am detailing my first ever Sky Hook now. It was hard to pick my absolute favorite but I probably dreamed about the Farside-X more than any kit as a kid as I browsed the old catalogs.

Jerry Irvine 09-17-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Flew my Astron Cobra last month for its maiden flight, on B6-4 motors. Beautiful flight. Meant to fly it you yesterday at Chili Blaster in Pueblo on C6-5s, but just ran out of time. I am working on an upscale Cobra using BT-80 body, but it will have four 24 mm motors so fins can go thru wall to joints of the motor tubes. Always loved the Farside-X and never had one. I built an Apogee II as a kid instead -- it was like a whole dollar cheaper (!), and one less engine meant I might actually ha able to afford motors to fly it. One of thes days I'll build a Farside-X. I am detailing my first ever Sky Hook now. It was hard to pick my absolute favorite but I probably dreamed about the Farside-X more than any kit as a kid as I browsed the old catalogs.

You launch in Pueblo? You rock.

BEC 09-17-2017 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Always loved the Farside-X and never had one. I built an Apogee II as a kid instead -- it was like a whole dollar cheaper (!), and one less engine meant I might actually ha able to afford motors to fly it. One of thes days I'll build a Farside-X. I am detailing my first ever Sky Hook now. It was hard to pick my absolute favorite but I probably dreamed about the Farside-X more than any kit as a kid as I browsed the old catalogs.

Semroc recently released a reproduction Farside-X, though of course if you have the fin patterns, it's pretty easy to clone.

I had one as a kid - it mostly flew on low impulse motors. I built a Farside for a classic model competition a few years ago. I've never had the nerve to go C-C-C on it. Typically B-B-A is what I've done.

BEC 09-18-2017 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
What is that paperwork?

http://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploa...ing-Program.pdf

Stefan,

The way I read this you won't be able to use B14-0 and B4-6 on the same flight. Only one decertifed motor at a time in a multistage.

Jerry,

I'm planning to visit Bill Simon tomorrow to do a little prep for this coming weekend's event. I'll try to remember to mention that you would like him to autograph the big Alpha. I know I have a normal sized one, a clone of the first version, that I want him to sign as well.

Jerry Irvine 09-18-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I'm planning to visit Bill Simon tomorrow to do a little prep for this coming weekend's event. I'll try to remember to mention that you would like him to autograph the big Alpha.
Snap a photo too.

chrism 09-18-2017 12:10 PM

My favorite is not listed but it is the Antares as it was my first rocket!