Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Orville (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16826)

Joe Shockcord 09-24-2017 06:14 PM

I was very impressed with the third episode. They went THERE and ended up doing a pretty good job of respecting each side of the argument. Good TV makes you think.

LeeR 09-24-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shockcord
I was very impressed with the third episode. They went THERE and ended up doing a pretty good job of respecting each side of the argument. Good TV makes you think.

Me too. I kinda groaned when I realized the subject matter, but it was treated respectfully. And I was not expecting the ending. I thought it was well done.

astronwolf 09-25-2017 09:53 AM

If you wanted to lampoon the Star Trek franchise, the Orville is it. I watch it and think that these people are not being serious about anything from the second it first appears on the screen. It's a farce. But fifty years of Star Trek have conditioned its audiences that it's supposed to be serious. Someone is having a little fun with us I think.

Pay attention one time to the obligatory into. The over-long introduction with the generic "soaring" music and images of the Orville plying it's way through excessively fantastic "space scenery" reminds me of Star Trek Voyager. If someone wanted to poke-fun of the intro scenes of Star Trek (and IMHO someone should) then the Orville is it.

tbzep 09-25-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
If you wanted to lampoon the Star Trek franchise, the Orville is it. I watch it and think that these people are not being serious about anything from the second it first appears on the screen. It's a farce. But fifty years of Star Trek have conditioned its audiences that it's supposed to be serious. Someone is having a little fun with us I think.

Pay attention one time to the obligatory into. The over-long introduction with the generic "soaring" music and images of the Orville plying it's way through excessively fantastic "space scenery" reminds me of Star Trek Voyager. If someone wanted to poke-fun of the intro scenes of Star Trek (and IMHO someone should) then the Orville is it.

That's just it. I think it is supposed to poke-fun/lampoon, but it's just not funny. I chuckled a couple times and thought a better lead actor would have made a couple more lines pop a little, but otherwise, I've been bored with it.

Space Ranger 09-26-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That's just it. I think it is supposed to poke-fun/lampoon, but it's just not funny. I chuckled a couple times and thought a better lead actor would have made a couple more lines pop a little, but otherwise, I've been bored with it.

it's just not funny
a better lead actor

agree,
Galaxy Quest with Tim Allen: thats the way to do it, hilarious parody of ST.

naoto 10-08-2017 07:55 PM

McFarlane has been noted to saying that the trailers were very misleading -- The Orville is *not* an all-out comedy, but a dramedy.

I'm apt to look at The Orville as being ST:TNG "Lite" edition (note: ST:TNG -- "Star Trek: The Next Generation"). From the second episode onward, the episodes have pretty much played out like a TNG episode (though lighter in tone). I do find it amusing that the opening credits for The Orville pretty much mirrors the one for Star Trek: Voyager.

ghrocketman 10-09-2017 09:31 AM

Scott Bakula stunk in ST:Enterprise; in FACT that entire series SUCKED.
I far prefer "The Orville" to that series.

Scott Bakula is far better in NCIS: New Orleans

jeffyjeep 10-09-2017 12:30 PM

IMHO, "The Orville" is possibly the most entertaining Sci-Fi series since Star Trek TOS. Bear in mind though, I never got into Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who, or Babylon 5, so I can't compare it to those three.

It's like Star Trek for adults!

Again, IMHO, GH is right: "Enterprise" was unwatchable.

Doug Sams 10-09-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Scott Bakula stunk in ST:Enterprise; in FACT that entire series SUCKED.
I far prefer "The Orville" to that series.

Scott Bakula is far better in NCIS: New Orleans
I really enjoyed him in Quantum Leap. (Does anyone think Al may have been the prototype for cell phone addicted millenials?)

Doug

LeeR 10-09-2017 11:33 PM

I’m just pleased to have a show I can watch to escape all the crap we are bombarded with, and be reasonably entertained, with a few laughs thrown in, too.