Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Kevlar from The Thread Exchange. (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4469)

Blushingmule 01-09-2009 02:59 PM

Kevlar from The Thread Exchange.

What a great deal and service! http://www.thethreadexchange.com/

Placed an order for a 34 yard hank of size 346 Part #KEV346NATL050BNC for $4.99 plus priorty. It's 150 lb. test and .026 diameter. Ordered online 01/06/09 and got it today. Fast service and no minimum order.

Bob

p.s. I just looked and there's 5 left.

p.p.s. Sorry, credit goes to Hans Michielssen @ www.howtobuildmodelrockets.20m.com
for having the info at his site.

hcmbanjo 01-09-2009 03:54 PM

I have to agree with your take on the Thread Exchange. Good people, great prices.
Sometimes you have to study their website a little, there are many different grades of kevlar available. 100 lb. is a great "overall" for sport rocketry, they list it under size 300.

Hans "Chris" Michielssen
www.howtobuildmodelrockets.20m.com

Ltvscout 01-09-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushingmule
What a great deal and service!

You forgot to leave their URL. ;)

hcmbanjo 01-09-2009 04:16 PM

Sorry about that:
www.thethreadexchange.com

There you go!

Hans "Chris" Michielssen
www.howtobuildmodelrockets.20m.com

Gus 01-11-2009 08:20 PM

My only problem with the Thread Exchange is that they don't carry braided kevlar, which I much prefer.

I buy braided kevlar from Commonwealth Displays. Look under the "Recovery" section of the website for "Tubular Kevlar".

foose4string 01-12-2009 08:46 AM

I ordered from thread exchange a few years ago. Bought a 2oz spool of #300(120lb). I'm probably only halfway through the spool and I've used on my homemade nylon chutes as shroud lines and virtually every rocket I build, even on kits that already come with Kevlar. Because, like Gus, I would prefer to have braided line but it's difficult and expensive to come by. I usually take three strands and braid them myself, only takes 5-10 minutes for a 12-15 inch section(about average for most LPR's). This results in a standard flat braid that is super strong, never untwists, and minimizes fraying. I also think it reduces chances of zippering, but I have no quantitative proof to back it up other than the fact I've never had one.

micromeister 01-12-2009 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I too have ordered many times from the Thread Exchange with Excellent service and results.

Gus is correct in that they "generally don't have braided or tubular kevlar but every now and then you'll catch a few bulk rolls there.

Braided Kevlar is generally much easier to pack, as it's lay-up is limper then twisted but I've had no trouble with either layup over the years with strength, longevity or packing. I've sometimes made my own custome sizes with the 3 strand rope making (Twisted Layup) method using fine Kevlar thread.

Anyway the Thread Exchange is a great place to get material and save some money along the way, as well as helpful, friendly folks to deal with.

Heres a handy little sheet I worked up to make looking for the proper size line a little easier, Hope it helps.

LeeR 01-13-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromeister
I too have ordered many times from the Thread Exchange with Excellent service and results.

John,

I just gotta know -- how many pictures with text description have you generated? I have to believe there isn't a rocketry subject you have not documented this way! You ought to consider publishing a book -- "The Rocketry Tips Picture Book" ...

:)

o1d_dude 01-13-2009 10:59 PM

Amen to that.

When I first saw the picture of the Stren Braided Kevlar I thought I might be able to buy some locally but it appears that Stren took it off the market very quickly. I heard it was a little too abrasive and fishermen stayed away from it. Too bad they didn't market it to rocketeers.

foose4string 01-14-2009 06:56 AM

I remember when that braided Kevlar fishing line first hit the market. Some tough stuff and had some advantages but would wear a groove in the guides(ceramic?) after extended use.