Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Centuri Prototype Launch Pad (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17501)

turbofireball 09-14-2018 10:26 PM

Centuri Prototype Launch Pad

1 Attachment(s)
There has been already been some discussion about the Lee Piester Centuri history video that has appeared on Facebook. For the Centuri fan like myself it is a treasure trove of history tidbits. He shows some interesting artwork, catalogs, and drawings. The image attached appears for a brief moment after the wooden launcher legs image...but wow!! Anybody have any info or pictures on this launch pad? It looks like it was to be the next gen of the Servo Launcher or a Heavy Duty Servo Launcher.

BEC 09-14-2018 11:09 PM

What a cool collection of concepts....some of which were realized later. The “handle” that is farthest left looks very much like the later Centuri “Lectra Line” launch controllers and the one immediately to the right of it strongly resembles the Estes Solar launch controller that came out in 1972.

Also the idea of D-cells in a launcher base with legs was implemented rather differently in the Estes Big Foot launcher....

Fuse Eh! 09-15-2018 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofireball
There has been already been some discussion about the Lee Piester Centuri history video that has appeared on Facebook. For the Centuri fan like myself it is a treasure trove of history tidbits. He shows some interesting artwork, catalogs, and drawings. The image attached appears for a brief moment after the wooden launcher legs image...but wow!!...

Interesting conceptual drawing, and the spelling of some of the various components/features in the drawing is likewise interesting. Is that "Ye Olde Rocket English"? :)

mycrofte 09-15-2018 07:44 AM

I was noticing how similar it is to what Estes came out with.

Doug Sams 09-15-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse Eh!
Interesting conceptual drawing, and the spelling of some of the various components/features in the drawing is likewise interesting. Is that "Ye Olde Rocket English"? :)
While a drawing like this may evolve into an engineering drawing, or perhaps catalog art, I see it, at this stage, as being used to start the board room discussion.

It's sort of a Powerpoint slide, 40 years before anyone heard of Powerpoint :) The bulleted list at right is both the design requirements for the launch pad as well as the features list for the catalog.

From the drawing, it's apparent that the pad can be easily assembled and disassembled for storage or transport. And the trusses give it a high tech look. So tje pad has both visual appeal and utility.

As for the battery arrangement, I noticed all 8 D-cells appear to be pointing up - not sure what combination of series and parallel that will produce :)

Seriously, compared to the later plastic tri-pod pads, I like the idea of having the weight of 8 D-cells helping anchor the pad. The plastic pads are notoriously light and often need staking down. But they are inexpensive to produce, and light for shipping - perfect for starter sets back in the day.

Doug

stefanj 09-15-2018 08:52 PM

Probably not a Servo pad (pneumatic acutation) because the controller has a safety key and continuity light.

It reminds me a little of the launcher for the short-lived "Mighty Mites" line. Plastic rail launcher with batteries in the base for launching limited line of mini-motor models.

I have a set (launcher, directions, one rocket) if anyone is interested it as a collectible. It was a donation to Oregon Rocektry. I'd donate sale proceeds to the club.