Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Early K-1 Scout Kits - Please check picture (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11056)

gerryfortin 04-28-2012 09:47 AM

Early K-1 Scout Kits - Please check picture

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I've update the Estes kit database for K-1 Scout kits. My assumption is the two earlier version without hangtags (facecards with blue lettering and with black/red lettering) are the second and third designed packages. Does anymore know of or have a K-1 with earlier packaging design? This would be a 1961 vintage kit.

Please see the attached image of Scout kits. This is really cool way to show kit design chronology!

RWmarlow 04-28-2012 10:49 AM

Never even saw the RED face card...thanks for sharing!

sandman 04-28-2012 11:17 AM

Weren't the very first ones packaged and shipped in a brown or blue engine tube?

RWmarlow 04-28-2012 11:54 AM

I think they were...it kinda explains the fins...never seen one of those either

Jerry Irvine 04-28-2012 12:31 PM

They are all 70c. That was before runaway inflation and currency destruction.
NASA spent $20,000 per KG to send one to space and return it. :)

Earl 04-28-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Weren't the very first ones packaged and shipped in a brown or blue engine tube?

I have read before that they were.....but I have never seen one myself. I seem to recall reading the engine tube they were shipped in as being red.

Earl

sandman 04-28-2012 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I have read before that they were.....but I have never seen one myself. I seem to recall reading the engine tube they were shipped in as being red.

Earl

Well, from the horses' mouth I got this...

At NARAM 51 my wife and I were walking into the vendor's tent when, honest, really" Gleda Estes trotted over to us saying," Gord, (she knew my name!!!!) Vern has something for you.

She ran over to the SEMROC booth and grabbed me one of the, then new, Golden Scout kits in a tube and she says, See, he put in a tube just like we did when we first started out!"

Honest to God, that is what she said!

So Gleda Estes said, " That is the way we shipped them when we first started out."

The picture is of mine and my wife's Golden Scout both signed and the kit I got from Gleda.
And everything is signed! :D

Now I should find where I put that mahogany and build a display cabinet...maybe American Walnut... :rolleyes:

Jerry Irvine 04-28-2012 04:03 PM

You need the photos of them giving it to you and signing them too. Congrats dude. Vern is a good guy. It's good to hear a story about how they started out.

Jerry

jetlag 04-28-2012 06:00 PM

Wow!!!
Nothing much cooler than that (at least to us rocketry guys)!
Incredible!

Mahogany, for sure!
Congrats, Gord!

When I would have bought one would have been in '68 or '69. I always opted for the Sprite, because it was a Scout with more (a ring and more fins).

Allen

Gus 04-28-2012 06:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of an original Red/Brown Tube Scout kit. To my eye the tube clearly looks brown but as you can see in the pictures, it often looks red in photos. I have old Estes motor tubes which clearly look red. So whether this brown looking tube is a variant, or whether it just faded over time I can't say. I am not the original owner of this kit so I don't know what qualified one for the free Scout kit.