Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Thrustline Aerospace Mike IX clone (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17459)

OKTurbo 08-18-2018 11:02 PM

Thrustline Aerospace Mike IX clone

5 Attachment(s)
This is one of my favorites from Thrustline. Second only to the Arapahoe E. Building this one like the original single stage 3x24mm cluster.

I’m also working on a two stage version, but that will have to wait. A couple of changes from the original are I’ve laminated the bottom fins with paper and I’m using a heavy wall BT80 tube. The landings were tuff on the lower fins....and the exhaust from 3 blazing D12’s would eat them up. Heavier tube because of the 3x ejection charge really wears on the thinner tube.

Some pics of the progress so far. I searched thru my old decal stash and found some for this rocket. I’ll probably go with a ‘splinter’ camo similar to my little Red Max I’ve had for years. The beta Mike IX I did for Thrustline had this kinda camo scheme.

OKTurbo 08-18-2018 11:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics of my original one. On the launch pad at NSL 2004...in Texas. South of College Station. Can't remember the town.

OKTurbo 08-19-2018 10:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Motor mount is in. Oh yeah...one other upgrade is the baffle coupler.

Nose cone and Kevlar shock cord.

Messed up the upper strakes. Put them in the wrong location. Thought about leaving it but I knew it would drive me crazy every time I looked at it. Some I sliced them off and fixed it.

Getting close to primer time. Then paint...

OKTurbo 08-19-2018 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some camo paint at Wally World. First coat of primer is on.

OKTurbo 08-24-2018 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Putting paint on. Already sprayed the light tan...this is the lighter camo green. Some more masking tape and the last of the camo will be done. Still need to figure the rest of the graphics.

OKTurbo 08-24-2018 03:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Peeling off layers of blue tape and this is what I ended up with. Some of the paint came off with the tape....adds to the battle hardened look...

Might add some stripes...then decals. Let this cure for a day.

olDave 08-25-2018 12:08 AM

Did you mean the sport launch at Hearne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKTurbo
Pics of my original one. On the launch pad at NSL 2004...in Texas. South of College Station. Can't remember the town.

If so, then it is a bit north of College Station.

OKTurbo 08-25-2018 07:13 AM

That must have been it. I remember everything turning into ‘Aggie Land’ the closer we got to Texas A&M.

OKTurbo 08-25-2018 10:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The OKTurbo Thrustline Aerospace ‘Mike IX’ is finished.

Kinda rough on the finish, but it’s been a while since I’ve built a rocket...

erik442 08-26-2018 07:42 PM

I like the way that turned out. I've got a brand new Nike-X on the bench that may benefit from the same paint treatment. Nicely done!