Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Centuri Motors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3062)

AKPilot 03-29-2008 09:50 AM

Centuri Motors

On another forum, a few months ago, I mentioned that an elderly gentlemen stopped by my house after seeing one of our club's flyers.

He dropped off a number of old Centuri/Eses products from the '60s. Can someone tell me what type of value these old Centuri motors have?

I have the following:

B14-6
C6-0 (x3)
C6-5 (x2)
C6-7 (x4)

STRMan 03-29-2008 10:23 AM

They are absolutely worthless, especially the B-14. If you send them to me, I would be happy to dispose of them for you. ;)

Vanel 03-29-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
They are absolutely worthless, especially the B-14. If you send them to me, I would be happy to dispose of them for you. ;)

LOL! :D

shockwaveriderz 03-29-2008 12:43 PM

Akpilot:

I would make a swag that these are ALL Estes manufactured and Centuri Relabled motors.

The oldest the Centuri B14 can be is 39 years old as 1969 was the 1st year Centuri sold the relabeled Estes B14.

Centuri stopped selling Estes relabled B14 in 1981. So this B14 is 27-39 years old.

Centuri also started selling Estes relabled C6 motors in 1969.

All of this information came from Doug Sam's fine Centuri-Estes Model Rocket Linage
Charts.

IF you have the time I would love to see a hi resolution phot of the B14 core next to a small ruler..... also could you measure on the inside as to how much distance their is betwen the end of the propellant grain and the end of the casing?

hth

terry dean
nar 16158

tbzep 03-29-2008 12:51 PM

Hey, Terry. Is there any history on these green motors?

shockwaveriderz 03-29-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

I don't personally know anything about them. maybe somebody else does?

terry dean
nar 16158

Gus 03-29-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

I believe those were from the ill-fated "St. Patricks Day Line" launched shortly after Damon bought the company. Not only was there considerable confusion on the part of Damon regarding how St. Patricks Day is generally celebrated, but the manufacture date on the motor also suggests a bit of confusion as to when the holiday usually occurs.

Damon eventually depleted the green motor inventory with the marginally more successful "Earth Day" and "Incredible Hulk" promotions. :o

tbzep 03-29-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I believe those were from the ill-fated "St. Patricks Day Line" launched shortly after Damon bought the company. Not only was there considerable confusion on the part of Damon regarding how St. Patricks Day is generally celebrated, but the manufacture date on the motor also suggests a bit of confusion as to when the holiday usually occurs.

Damon eventually depleted the green motor inventory with the marginally more successful "Earth Day" and "Incredible Hulk" promotions. :o

Hmmm. I think I'd much rather have the Incredible Hulk motor. :D

Royatl 03-29-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

This is a bit of a foggy memory, but I remember Damon was experimenting with using the casings instead of the ink to color code the motors (green for single stage, purple/upper, red/boosters) for the expanding hobby store market. At least I remember only seeing these colored casings in a particular hobby store in Athens.

Who knows? maybe their casing supplier was just short handed on regular kraft paper and sent them these instead. I have a couple of Estes mini booster motors made in spiral wound glassine covered casings, and I have a whole bag of green casing Centuri mini-B motors.

shockwaveriderz 03-29-2008 11:53 PM

roy: and the pcitures are ......?

terry dean
nar 16158