Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Ask the Doctor (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Estes Interceptor 1250 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16223)

Bob in Phoenix 09-13-2016 03:20 PM

Estes Interceptor 1250

Will the Estes Interceptor 1250 be stable without those silly wing tip pods? Thank you.

Bob in Phoenix

neil_w 09-13-2016 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Phoenix
Will the Estes Interceptor 1250 be stable without those silly wing tip pods? Thank you.

Bob in Phoenix

Silly wing tip pods? SILLY WING TIP PODS?????

Them's fightin' words.

tbzep 09-13-2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Bob in Phoenix

Yes....but that's like owning a steer instead of a bull. :eek:

Woody's Workshop 09-13-2016 05:01 PM

What happen to your pods? They get broke off? Did you scratch build one and not do the pods? Loose them in a move?
I don't think it will make much difference, but will certainly take away from the looks.
Best of Luck

Quote:

Bob in Phoenix

the mole 09-13-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Bob in Phoenix

I agree I don't like the pods either. Never had and never will. I don't like the way they hang so far back on the wing. I wish they were more like the fuel tank on F-104 .

Please don't hate me.

burkefj 09-13-2016 06:51 PM

We don't hate you, we are just very sad and dissapointed:)

I personally love the wingtip pods, it's one of the things that makes the interceptor unique, I look a the vindicator and it looks boring to me, it's basically a swept wing/tail interceptor without pods....but to each his own.

You can always move them forward slightly to be more symmetrically mounted like a starfighter or leave them off, I think there is plenty of lateral stability without the small fins on the pods.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
I agree I don't like the pods either. Never had and never will. I don't like the way they hang so far back on the wing. I wish they were more like the fuel tank on F-104 .

Please don't hate me.

Jerry Irvine 09-13-2016 06:56 PM

I like the look of the Interceptor, Mars Lander and other spindly kits. Don't launch them! The San Diego guys made a big-a$$ mars lander and I strongly suggested they put a pole out the back so when it landed the insertion force would protect the useless landing legs. They didn't listen and it has not reflown despite free motor offers by me to the new owner.

ghrocketman 09-13-2016 08:57 PM

Building an Estes 1250 Interceptor without the wing-tip pods is like a full-scale F-104 Starfighter without the Tip-Tanks. JUSTTTT NOTTTTT RIIIGHTTTTTTTT !!!!!!

And to answer your question, NOPE, it will NOT be stable or fly correctly without them ! :) :rolleyes:

Rob Campbell 09-13-2016 10:11 PM

Doesn't like pods? Someone must have been traumatized by Invasion of the Body Snatchers as a child.

AstronMike 09-14-2016 01:01 PM

Recall Interceptor II?

If you recall that one, produced in the 80s and 90s, that was a 'basic' Interceptor, but with the wingtip pods replaced by simple dowels. Never liked that, although some of you might, if you *really* don't like the 'real pods'.

Frank is correct about the Vindicator in that its a bit too plain without some sort of 'fin dressing'. Liked the overall look of that one better though.