Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   WOOSH News (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Hello (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=12954)

andybside 09-16-2013 01:37 PM

Hello

Hello everyone. Just joined the forum and wanted to reach out to my fellow rocketeers. My name is Andy and I am new to the sport. I am totally hooked. My family and I went to the last Richard Bong HPR launches and we had such a great time. Even my wife really enjoyed herself. We couldn't believe how exciting it was to watch the big boys fly. I have been building the low powered rockets now for a couple months, but after seeing the big boys, I really want to start a new winter project building a HPR. I am hoping to join WOOSH soon and hopefully meet some of you guys and start learning. I've been obsessively reading articles, newsletters, blogs, and watching videos so I have a general idea about how things work. I'm sure there are all kinds of tips and tricks that can only come with experience and help. I would really like to go for my level 1 certification next year when the HPR launces start up again. I live in Random Lake so its a little hike to get to some meetings, but I'm gonna try real soon. So once again, Hi Yall and I look forward to meeting some of you soon!!!

Andy

shrox 09-16-2013 05:11 PM

Hi Andy, welcome.

Doug Sams 09-16-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybside
Hello everyone. Just joined the forum and wanted to reach out to my fellow rocketeers. My name is Andy and I am new to the sport. I am totally hooked. My family and I went to the last Richard Bong HPR launches and we had such a great time. Even my wife really enjoyed herself. We couldn't believe how exciting it was to watch the big boys fly. I have been building the low powered rockets now for a couple months, but after seeing the big boys, I really want to start a new winter project building a HPR.
Hi, Andy,

Welcome! It's fun to hear from new rocketeers. Mostly you'll read about low power stuff here - the group is mainly into classic model rockets from the earlier years of the hobby - but a few of us fly some HPR, and talk about it some here, so you'll fit right in.

Your enthusiasm shines thru your post quite clearly. It's infectious. Glad you made it.

Doug

chadrog 09-16-2013 05:49 PM

Hola, welcome to the insanity! Been a while since I've been to Random Lake, the Eagle's Nest still kickin? Spent a few long nights there. :D If you thought the last launch at Bong was good, wait till some people actually show up! Last month's launch had a rather small turnout, it get's way busier than that. The meetings are tough to get to for many, being during the week. I'd encourage you to try to get to some of our small field launches to meet and mingle- they happen twice a month, rocket season never stops around here. You'll find the WOOSH group to have a very broad base of knowledge covering all aspects of rocketry - from finishing balsa to packing a 20' parachute. Nothing is too small or too big! Look forward to catching you and family at a launch sometime.

Randy 09-16-2013 05:58 PM

Welcome!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Les 09-16-2013 06:01 PM

Welcome - Enjoy
And as you enter the realm of HPR, hold onto your wallet!

Rex R 09-16-2013 06:46 PM

hmmm, lets see. you say that you would like to get your level 1 in January...best start building now :). I would suggest that one of the Estes pro series 2 birds would give you a decent intro into the world of high power rocketry building techniques. you might want to investigate G. Harry Stine's Handbook of Model Rocketry and look into rocket design software ( Open Rocket is FREE). pace yourself and have fun.
Rex

JohnNGA 09-16-2013 06:51 PM

Welcome..you will find great people here and lots of good Rocket info.

ThePlmbr 09-16-2013 08:54 PM

Welcome Andy....Good luck with that future level one project. Greg

Tau Zero 09-16-2013 08:59 PM

To quote our own Craig McGraw: "Welcome to the asylum." ;) :D