Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Old Print Ads (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=7787)

GregGleason 09-17-2010 10:52 AM

Old Print Ads

Advertising reflects culture of the day.

This slide show could be entertaining for some.

Greg

blackshire 09-17-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Advertising reflects culture of the day.

This slide show could be entertaining for some.

Greg
At the Georgia Mountain Fair in Hiawassee, the pioneer home exhibit (an actual one-room log home that was dismantled and re-assembled at the fairgrounds) contained a bottle of "Save the Baby" brand cough syrup, whose label proudly proclaimed: "Made with pure cocaine!" (In that connexion, I also knew two Coca-Cola employees who told me about the parties the Atlanta staff would have, where they served very old bottles of the *really* "Classic Coke" (re-carbonated using a CO2 sparklet) that contained cocaine.)

Getting back to the theme of this thread, I wonder what classic model rocket advertisements might be considered unacceptable today? (While not ads per se, any catalog citations for the Estes Midget might very well raise eyebrows at the very least.)

ghrocketman 09-17-2010 12:52 PM

Slide 51 was the best one...totally hilarious and see nothing wrong with that for the unruly ones.
Slide 57 was awful...it's a wonder they are still in business with that sort of insane marketing- then again there were FAR fewer whales to market to back then, and PC was NOT something hardly anyone but a politician was concerned with.

hcmbanjo 09-17-2010 01:37 PM

"Getting back to the theme of this thread, I wonder what classic model rocket advertisements might be considered unacceptable today? "

At the NARAM in 1975 I had a chance to see some Centuri ads that never made it to print.

A few featured a new spokeswoman for the rocket company named "Miss Centuri Rockets".
Obviously aimed at the male teen buyer, this girl was beautiful!

One of the ads showed her dismay when new rockets were released without her knowing about it.
The ad had her saying something along the lines of:
"Can you believe they released these rockets without telling me? And I'm Miss Centuri Rockets!"

As I understood the story, these ads were prepared when President Lee Piester was on vacation, away from Phoenix.
When he returned and saw them, he quickly put a stop to the ad campaign.

Initiator001 09-17-2010 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I recall this Estes ad raised some eyebrows a few years ago. :rolleyes:

Bob

ghrocketman 09-17-2010 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aww, c'mon Lee- there is NOTHING wrong with a "Miss Centuri Rockets" girl, ESPECIALLY when 99.9% of your buyers are MALE !

luke strawwalker 09-17-2010 02:46 PM

I still have my NCR catalogs from the late 80's when I was in high school...

Man I don't know who those chicks were in the catalog, but they sure were some GOOD LOOKIN' HONEYS!!!! He always had a couple hot blondes holding his rockets in the catalogs.

I couldn't afford NCR stuff at the time, but if I could have I'd have bought some...

My nephews liked the SHR website when I showed it to them a couple years ago (they're in high school, one just graduated actually). She looked pretty good with the rockets, in that 'trailer trash' sorta way... :D

Who was the babe in the Oracle ad?? That WAS kinda racy for Estes... might have actually made me think of buying that overpriced poor performing POS rocket... ;)

Any pics of the Centuri girl?? That'd be kinda interesting to see, but if it never made it to print...

Yall take it easy! OL JR :)

Blushingmule 09-17-2010 03:03 PM

Spindizzy :-)

Just what in the wide wide world of sports is a Graviton Polarity Generator (#53)? http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/en...=faces#slide=53

It looks like some type of nuclear power station piece; or the bottom-end of an industrial floor buffer. Maybe a sewage pump of some type? Possibly a type of dynamic brake; like diesel/electric locomotives use.

It has 4 settings; 1, 1&1/4, 1&1/2, and 2 marked near the bottom edge of the casting.

No doubt about it, the oddest ad I've ever seen.

Bob
p.s. The "Vargas" gal ain't bad either ;)

ghrocketman 09-17-2010 03:04 PM

"Trailer trash" is EXACTLY the way I would have described "Sheri" if that is even her real name.

Ltvscout 09-17-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
I still have my NCR catalogs from the late 80's when I was in high school...

Man I don't know who those chicks were in the catalog, but they sure were some GOOD LOOKIN' HONEYS!!!! He always had a couple hot blondes holding his rockets in the catalogs.

Matt Steele is a member here. He had given me the story on the catalog chicks about 8-10 yrs ago. I've forgotten the details unfortunately. :eek: Send him a PM (ManOfSteele) and ask him if he'd clue everyone in on this thread.