Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   WOOSH News (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Club elections Wednesday November 26 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14486)

MadHatter 11-14-2014 11:16 AM

Club elections Wednesday November 26

Yes I know that’s the night before Thanksgiving, but we have been having a good turn out the last two years we have done this…

The meeting will be held at on Wednesday November 26th at Greenfield News and Hobby, at 6:30 pm.

This meeting we will vote in our club officers for the next year we need a quorum to do this and proxy votes are allowed so if you are not going to attend please respond to this message or find someone who is going to place your vote by-proxy.

The incumbents are:
WOOSH President: Mark Hackler
WOOSH Vice President: Chad Rodgers
WOOSH Treasurer: Carl Riely
WOOSH Secretary: Russ Westergaard

Jerry Irvine 11-14-2014 02:58 PM

Do you think if you used misfire alley rather than torture rack you could get by with 50% less club leaders and 100% more club members?

Bill 11-14-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Do you think if you used misfire alley rather than torture rack you could get by with 50% less club leaders and 100% more club members?

No.

Jerry, no amount of persuasion on your part is going to change how others do things...

Going misfire alley will make the club's equipment management easier, but that is about it.

My club does a heck of a lot of outreach. We let each "pilot" push the launch button if they want so that they do not miss out on that part of the experience. In their excitement, some of them have a hard time waiting until the count gets to zero. I cannot imagine the chaos if most of them used their own equipment; many of the parents do not know what they are doing either. Our system has the added benefit in that we coach each one how to properly hook up the clips and check for continuity. In the event of a misfire, we diagnose the problem instead making them figure it out on their own.

When we expect it to be busy, we set up multiple sets of pads spaced far enough apart that we can launch some while loading others. With an LCO, a safety check person and two pad managers, we can launch continuously. It is simply amazing how quickly we can go through rockets, especially once we introduce the concept of the drag race...

We have very few who bring their own equipment and almost nobody who insists on using it.

Misfire alley works well when a large majority of the participants are experienced. Our launches are seldom that way.

Bill

MadHatter 11-14-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine

Jerry,

I had to look up what you meant by misfire ally and torture rack because I have never heard of such a method, it seems to have been born around 2008.

Our low power launches are BYOP (bring your own pad) no LCO or RSO they are a lot of fun, our HPR launches are ran in such a way that the wait time is minimal and we still maintain the NAR safety codes, we often have large groups of scouts and other organizations attending and never heard of one complaint, and we receive good reports often on how smoothly our operations are ran and again a lot of fun.

After reading about it I can see why, nobody here has brought up misfire ally, as the club president I'm open to operation changes from club members and that’s the key here, from club members.

As this section is for club WOOSH member business, and I see that you are not a member please take your argument elsewhere… go away.

Mark

Rex R 11-15-2014 01:33 AM

there are various reasons for why the club is set up as it is, but I'm reasonably sure that range setup isn't one of them. Mark, as a club member I am happy with our current setup.
Rex

chadrog 11-15-2014 01:59 AM

Our system works for us, no reason to fix what isn't broken. I will not be able to attend the meeting, but Cyntha will be there on my behalf - in the event anyone wishes to keep me in.

PaulK 11-15-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
Our system works for us, no reason to fix what isn't broken. I will not be able to attend the meeting, but Cyntha will be there on my behalf - in the event anyone wishes to keep me in.
It's more likely that you'll get promoted if you can't make it. ;)

chadrog 11-15-2014 10:36 PM

Any and all promotions will face heavy resistance. :p

Bill 11-16-2014 08:02 PM

"If nominated, I shall run to Mexico. If elected, I shall fight extradition." - Mo Udall

Bill

chadrog 11-16-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
"If nominated, I shall run to Mexico. If elected, I shall fight extradition." - Mo Udall

Bill

Heh, how'd you know? I plan to defect to Mexico as soon as my kids are old enough to make their own way down to visit - or stay.