Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes K-36 Saturn - V (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1931)

dwmzmm 07-10-2007 01:05 AM

Estes K-36 Saturn - V

Ok, now that I got my FSI Black Brant - II and OSO models repaired, I've started on my other long awaited summer project, and that is the Estes K-36 Saturn - V. Model will
essentially be the Estes kit, but with some major modifications: Five engine cluster (four
18 mm outboards; one 24 mm core), Centuri style ejection baffle system, main separation
point for recovery will be like the Centuri Saturn - V (just above the SII main body tube),
and more detailing where the Estes original K-36 model is lacking. This model will be
incorporating parts & supplies I had done by BMS and Roachwerks specifically for this
project.

Oh yes, I'll probably do a writeup for EMRR along with pics, but that should come later
this summer (still gotta do a writeup on the BB-II & OSO)....

sandman 07-10-2007 07:14 AM

Let me know pretty soon what you need. With NARAM coming up I'm getting pretty busy!

dwmzmm 07-10-2007 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Let me know pretty soon what you need. With NARAM coming up I'm getting pretty busy!

Thanks, sandman. I already have everything I need; remember you recently sent me the
Launch Escape Motor with skirt?! That was the last missing piece of the puzzle for my model...

Go ahead and concentrate on your NARAM builds. I'll keep you guys "in the loop" as for
the progress of my K-36 as it moves along.

Once again, thanks for all the help!!

sandman 07-10-2007 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Thanks, sandman. I already have everything I need; remember you recently sent me the
Launch Escape Motor with skirt?! That was the last missing piece of the puzzle for my model...

Go ahead and concentrate on your NARAM builds. I'll keep you guys "in the loop" as for
the progress of my K-36 as it moves along.

Once again, thanks for all the help!!

Every once in a while someone has to step in and remind me of what I've already done. :o I forget so easily.

dwmzmm 07-10-2007 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Every once in a while someone has to step in and remind me of what I've already done. :o I forget so easily.

No problem; I'm getting there, too (s-l-o-w-l-y)..... :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw 07-10-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:
Ok, now that I got my FSI Black Brant - II and OSO models repaired, I've started on my other long awaited summer project, and that is the Estes K-36 Saturn - V. Model will essentially be the Estes kit, but with some major modifications: Five engine cluster (four 18 mm outboards; one 24 mm core...

Dave,

Are you planning to build the outboards with any thrust-vectoring toward the CP location for stability?

dwmzmm 07-10-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Dave,

Are you planning to build the outboards with any thrust-vectoring toward the CP location for stability?

No, all five tubings will be perfectly vertical. Maybe I should have thought about it.
While we're at it, how about checking out the link below and tell me what you think of
Warren Benson's Apogee Saturn - V flown at JSC several weekends ago?!

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/fo...posts=9&start=1

Make sure you follow through the entire thread (not that long)...

CPMcGraw 07-10-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:
No, all five tubings will be perfectly vertical. Maybe I should have thought about it.
While we're at it, how about checking out the link below and tell me what you think of
Warren Benson's Apogee Saturn - V flown at JSC several weekends ago?!

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/fo...posts=9&start=1

Make sure you follow through the entire thread (not that long)...

That's got a "wow" factor to it. The SatV is always impressive, the bigger the better. FTETTM has been on the Science Channel for a few weeks, and I've been paying attention to all of the launch segments (even though most of it was CGI...). Lots of memories...

dwmzmm 07-12-2007 12:38 AM

Few Pics of Build and Sneak Peak of Collection

10 Attachment(s)
Took a few pictures this evening to show the progress of the K-36 build; bear in mind that
the two main BT-101 tubes have not been glued together (yet); they've only been fitted
with the rings/coupler to correctly "round" the tubings after hibernating in the K-36 kit
box for some 25+ years. Also note the transistion from the SII stage to the SIV-B is removable (recovery system will be stored in the SII section much like the Centuri version).

While I was at it, I took some pictures of my collection in the glass display case behind
the work area; since I do my work (for the most part) in my garage, I can only spend about
15 - 30 minutes at a time before the Houston summer heat drives me back inside the
house. Besides, I like to do my major builds slowly anyway. You'll see many models that
are classics from the early Estes/Centuri/FSI/CMR days, along with some from Hawks
Hobby, Squirrel Works, PDRocketry, among others. The completed Saturn - V behind the
glass display is the Centuri kit.

Anyway, I present you the pics below. More to come as the build progresses...

dwmzmm 07-14-2007 10:06 AM

Few More Pictures

7 Attachment(s)
Here's a few more pictures showing the progress so far.

The ejection baffles have been installed as have the main powerplant assembly tubings/
centering rings in the SI-C 101 stage.

The Apollo/LES is basically complete; interesting story here is the plastic Apollo capsule &
LES tower comes from my third Estes K-36 built back in 1971. It had been used for that
1971 model until that Saturn got completely damaged some years ago but the capsule/
tower was saved. The LES motor section with skirt is from Roachwerks; the rocket nozzles
I made myself using 1/8 x 1/8 basswood turned with a pencil sharpener. Sorry that the
focus/lightening of the Apollo capsule is poor; I had done considerable detailing on the
boost protective cover when I built the 1971 Saturn - V and (in my opinion) did a pretty
good job - considering my building skills back then.

More later as the build progresses (s-l-o-w-l-y)...