Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is it happening here too? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=13298)

Randy 12-27-2013 07:48 AM

Is it happening here too?

I'm at my mom's this morning and I just posted a short response to Sheryl's post about Bruce and mentioned praying for them. As soon as I clicked post, I saw the word prayer change to a hyper link and as it did that, it began running an ad for prayer when I put my cursor over it. The word changed to a link almost instantly on it's own.

I have seen this happen in other places but was not visible on every pc. It would happen at work on various sites but I couldn't see the changes at home.

What gives? Does my mom's pc have a virus or is there something on YORF covertly converting certain words? Nothing else is affected.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Randy 12-27-2013 07:59 AM

Did a quick check to see if there were other words on other threads and yes there are. Not in every reply but in every thread there are various words that when I put the cursor on the word an ad pops up for one thing or another, I don't even have to click it. For example one thread had the word "flight 3 times in it and all 3 places ran an airline ad for cheap tickets. In another place the word finance triggered an ad for financing a house.

There seem to be many key words doing the same thing for various ads all over the place.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

chadrog 12-27-2013 08:00 AM

It's something the computer itself has picked up, an add-on it might be referred to? It's happened to me before, I wish I could tell you how I got rid of it.

Scott6060842 12-27-2013 08:10 AM

Boot you pc in safe mode with networking (press the F8 key while you are booting up).

Go to malewarebytes.org and download the free software.

Run the updates and perform the full scan.

Follow directions to remove infected files.

reboot computer.

Everyone should do this periodically.

Ltvscout 12-27-2013 08:28 AM

I guarantee it's not this site doing it. You've been infected with malware. Follow the instructions in the previous reply above mine. I recommend running Ccleaner before running Malwarebytes. I then recommend running Superantispyware Free once Malwarebytes does its thing. That one two punch will clean up most infections.

sandman 12-27-2013 09:51 AM

I had that for a few days about two months ago.

Fortunately during my weekly scan thingy my scan hunter killer got rid of it.

Randy 12-27-2013 10:39 AM

Yep, ran a scan and it's gone now.

Thanks!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

CPMcGraw 12-28-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I guarantee it's not this site doing it. You've been infected with malware. Follow the instructions in the previous reply above mine. I recommend running Ccleaner before running Malwarebytes. I then recommend running Superantispyware Free once Malwarebytes does its thing. That one two punch will clean up most infections.

One word: LINUX

No viruses, no need for anti-virus programs, virtually impervious to hi-jacking. Big plus, it's the same under the hood as the Android OS on your tablet or smartphone.

Downside? Having to locate Linux-based apps that do the same tasks as your Windows apps. A few simple apps can run just fine under Wine.

Give it a try.

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-28-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout

Nothing works better than a wire brush and kerosene. Watch out for sparks, though. :eek:

shrox 12-28-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
One word: LINUX

No viruses, no need for anti-virus programs, virtually impervious to hi-jacking. Big plus, it's the same under the hood as the Android OS on your tablet or smartphone.

Downside? Having to locate Linux-based apps that do the same tasks as your Windows apps. A few simple apps can run just fine under Wine.

Give it a try.

Linux won't run my 3D programs...