Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Hardware (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What to do? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11306)

mycrofte 07-01-2012 07:30 AM

What to do?

I won a bag of mid power parts in a raffle at GARLO 2012 in Champaign, IL yesterday. But, since I have never built anything that size, I'm not sure what to do with them.

What I have looks about like that Rocwerks Reactor with a twin 24mm engine mount. Since it is a bag of parts there are no fins included. The closest thing I have seen, that I like, is the Little John missile.

Only real problem is that I have never done through wall fins or a dual engine mount. And, have no idea how to attach the 24" parachute. All I have ever used are the tri-fold Estes type shock cords...

chadrog 07-01-2012 10:57 AM

Do some digging in the various mid-power forums, that should give you everything you need. I'd be happy to take it off your hands otherwise. :D

tbzep 07-01-2012 04:35 PM

It's free so experiment, build, and fly. You won't be out any cash if you mess something up. :)

mycrofte 07-01-2012 05:16 PM

It wasn't complete, so I'll have to spend a little. Just thought there might be enough folks here with BT-80 rockets to get some ideas before I commit to a semi Little John.

tbzep 07-01-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
It wasn't complete, so I'll have to spend a little. Just thought there might be enough folks here with BT-80 rockets to get some ideas before I commit to a semi Little John.

I've got a bunch of BT-80 rockets, up to 7.67" dia. :)

TTW isn't hard to do and there are several easy options for mounting your shock cord.

mycrofte 07-01-2012 06:40 PM

If any of that information is here point the way!

mycrofte 07-06-2012 04:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, after watching several Apogee videos, I got a good start on it. I had almost forgotten those videos were there, let alone showing the techniques I needed. And, I was surprised how fast Tim answered all my questions.

So, here is what I have so far. Engine mount and fins dry fitted. My make shift baffle is still drying...

mycrofte 07-08-2012 04:19 AM

I painted it red with white fins to see how it would look.

Can't seem to come up with a name though. So far I'm going with "Double D".

tbzep 07-08-2012 10:06 AM

Looks good. :cool:

mycrofte 07-08-2012 01:37 PM

Unlike some of you, I don't fill in spirals.

After landing in the dry dirt of a corn field and being repaired, the spiral is about the only detail left on some of my rockets.

But, I have the baffle glued in and it is looking good so far. Still not sure if I want the fins white or yellow. Some of the paint jobs I've seen red and yellow look really sharp.