Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MMI Launch Tower (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16250)

John Dyer 09-15-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Try this: http://www.questaerospace.com/q-stineletters.htm

I just did a search "the stine letters quest" and got there.....

I do have a question....

In the film and on the Quest website (on the museum pages), they show a tower launch pad.

Does anyone have plans for this tower somewhere? or at least dimensions and possibly a parts list?

It might be interesting to see how they were constructed - they look pretty sturdy...

John

jdbectec 09-15-2016 04:53 PM

Yes I have seen that same time and I do know that Brian Thompson who owns Slot & Wing Hobbies in my youth had at least two of them they are on display in the store until recently the last move. Although I can't promise you when I will be by there again and I'll ask Mark his son who works there on Sundays if he knows of any information about them those Towers were built buy model missiles and I if I recall correctly you had to assemble them

John Dyer 09-16-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
Yes I have seen that same time and I do know that Brian Thompson who owns Slot & Wing Hobbies in my youth had at least two of them they are on display in the store until recently the last move. Although I can't promise you when I will be by there again and I'll ask Mark his son who works there on Sundays if he knows of any information about them those Towers were built buy model missiles and I if I recall correctly you had to assemble them

Thanks... Wow - I didn't expect any of them to still be around.

It would be kind of an interesting project to build one if we can get info on one of them.

Could you imagine flying a Mrk I or II from one at a club launch? Or NARAM? :)

John

Gus 09-21-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dyer
I do have a question....

In the film and on the Quest website (on the museum pages), they show a tower launch pad.

Does anyone have plans for this tower somewhere? or at least dimensions and possibly a parts list?

It might be interesting to see how they were constructed - they look pretty sturdy...

John

Partial MMI Launch Tower on eBay

jetlag 09-21-2016 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

$1500 ! Really?

John Dyer 09-21-2016 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

Thanks, but I was hoping that someone would have a parts list, etc. the pictures do help.

$1,500.00 is waaaaay over what I'm willing to pay for a tower - especially one missing parts.

John

John Dyer 09-21-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
$1500 ! Really?

Looks like the cross members are missing, and the center pieces to hold the model.
Plus the blast deflector, etc.

the pictures do help get an idea of how the tower is put together, but I need the overall dimensions, total height and width of the tower, length of the parts, parts list, etc.

Like I said - it would be fun to replicate one, but it's not critical. I thought it would be nice to display with the 2 MMI Rock-a-chute motors I have.

John

sandman 09-21-2016 05:52 PM

Quote:
Looks like the cross members are missing, and the center pieces to hold the model.
Plus the blast deflector, etc.

the pictures do help get an idea of how the tower is put together, but I need the overall dimensions, total height and width of the tower, length of the parts, parts list, etc.

Like I said - it would be fun to replicate one, but it's not critical. I thought it would be nice to display with the 2 MMI Rock-a-chute motors I have.

John

If it's just for display, it could be duplicated in wood or polycarbonate.

But again, you would need dimensions.

ghrocketman 09-21-2016 07:19 PM

I wouldn't pay 1/10 of the asking price for that thing on ebay.
Wouldn't pay the asked $1500 if it was made of Unobtainium....
That seller must have climbed the STUPID tree, fell out, and BUMPED THEIR HEAD several times on the way down.
STINKONIUM though, maybe....

Doug Sams 09-22-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:
$1,500.00 is waaaaay over what I'm willing to pay for a tower - especially one missing parts.
I wonder if the seller is connected to the hobby, or is simply trying to make a quick buck off something he/she is only vaguely familiar with. That is, would they be aware of this thread? Would they know that some folks here are their best target customers? Would they be willing to come down to a reasonable price level with real, genuine rocket-knowledgeable customers?

Doug