Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can't Get Rustoleum to Spray (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16748)

GuyNoir 07-26-2017 05:23 PM

Can't Get Rustoleum to Spray

So I was attempted to use Rustoleum white to do some paint today. I used the stuff last fall, and haven't used it since. Now I can't get a darned thing to come out of the can.

I've soaked the nozzle in some thinner and also cleaned out the top of the can where the nozzle inserts with thinner, and still nuthin'

What in the name of all that is good in rocketry do I have to do to get paint to spray again? The can's nearly 3/4 full.

Doug Sams 07-26-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
So I was attempted to use Rustoleum white to do some paint today. I used the stuff last fall, and haven't used it since. Now I can't get a darned thing to come out of the can.

I've soaked the nozzle in some thinner and also cleaned out the top of the can where the nozzle inserts with thinner, and still nuthin'

What in the name of all that is good in rocketry do I have to do to get paint to spray again? The can's nearly 3/4 full.
Bunny, do you have another can with the same nozzle? Try it. I've had difficulty getting a clogged nozzle cleared out, and worked around that by swapping nozzles.

Doug

mwtoelle 07-26-2017 05:52 PM

The way things are going, you may need to invest in an airbrush/automotive spray gun to get a decent paint job on your rockets. You may need to buy Rustoleum in regular cans and then use an airbrush/spray gun to apply the paint. My guess to your particular problem is the pickup tube in your can is clogged. Just my $0.02.

jeffyjeep 07-26-2017 06:42 PM

It happens to me quite often, therefore I save all of the used nozzles from my empty rattle cans--especially primer. The primer cans/nozzles seem to be the most reliable, but I don't know why.

Newbomb Turk 07-26-2017 07:00 PM

Great tip, Jeep. I've lost track of all the Rusto I've tossed, and I need a new can of white for Rogue and Farside-X base coats.

MarkB. 07-26-2017 07:20 PM

New nozzles are the answer.

Rustoleum will sell you 20 for about $5. Its the only way you'll ever finish a can of white.

Go to the Rustoleum website. I average about three nozzles per can of gloss white.

jeffyjeep 07-26-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
New nozzles are the answer.

Rustoleum will sell you 20 for about $5. Its the only way you'll ever finish a can of white.

Go to the Rustoleum website. I average about three nozzles per can of gloss white.

I had no idea Rusto sold just nozzles! I gotta get me some!

frognbuff 07-26-2017 08:35 PM

Apologies if somebody already said this....

After using Rusto, I pull off the nozzles and soak them in mineral spirits for about 10-15 minutes. It seems to keep them pretty clean, and has really stretched the amount I get from each can.

Didn't know Rusto sold nozzles either 20 for $5 is totally worth it!

scigs30 07-26-2017 09:30 PM

Most spray paints have changed and are now hit and miss. I have used Rustoleum Rust Stop spray paint back in the day and it worked great, now I never know what I am getting. I order Krylon Acyli Quik online, it is same old 5 ball Krylon that they used to sell in the stores. Works great, comes with the old style nozzle and I can use it until gone without messing with the nozzle.

LeeR 07-26-2017 10:32 PM

Soak your nozzles in lacquer thinner! It's the only way to get them absolutely clean. The plastic is lacquer-safe since the same nozzle could be found on spray cans of lacquer paint.

If you really want to be anal about it, buy either a piece of aluminum or brass tubing that fits over the nozzle's tube and blow it out. Be sure to inhale before putting the tube in your mouth! And wear safety glasses. You don't know if the spray might hit you in the face! Don't ask me why I am concerned for your safety. :)

I've been using Krylon old formula which I stocked up on in the late 90s to early 2000s. The key is clean your nozzles, and invert that can to clear paint if you may not be using the paint for awhile. You don't want that paint drying down inside the top of the can.

Bunny,

The Rustoleum 2X whites are excellent. I've used the gloss, semigloss, and flat. Their colors are equally good, but I've had my issues with other brands of white paint, especially gloss. Finally, Rustoleum lacquers are my favorite. They only come in red, black, and white. There may be a silver, but I've never seen it in stores. However, these lacquers are compatible with the little Testors and Model Master lacquers, so you have a lot of options with lacquers. If you are worried about crazing plastic parts, spray them first with Tamiya primers. Formulated to protect plastic, and have no fillers to blur molded details that may exist in any plastic pieces, like body wraps.