Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Frog Tape (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9238)

migbuster 05-15-2011 04:36 PM

Frog Tape

I find adding frog tape while detailing my rockets work great. Do bleeding onto the other color at all.

Solomoriah 05-15-2011 05:16 PM

Frog tape?

Whazzat?

rstaff3 05-15-2011 05:22 PM

This is a case of YMMV. I have found it no better the blue painters tape and have since read the details. Its adhesive apparently is made to react with latex paints but not with enamels, etc.

Quote:
What makes FrogTape® different from other painter’s tapes? FrogTape® is the only painter’s tape treated with PaintBlock® Technology. PaintBlock is a super-absorbent polymer which reacts with latex paint and instantly gels to form a micro-barrier that seals the edges of the tape, preventing paint bleed.

A Fish Named Wallyum 05-15-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Frog tape?

Whazzat?

Yeah, I always just nail my frogs down. :rolleyes:
I've seen it, but I've never been tempted. The blue tape has served me well.

migbuster 05-15-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaff3
This is a case of YMMV. I have found it no better the blue painters tape and have since read the details. Its adhesive apparently is made to react with latex paints but not with enamels, etc.

I have use it and it works for me. maybe it is how the user uses it. each to their own ideas.

kevinj 05-16-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Frog tape?

Whazzat?

Tape with an additive that reacts with certain paints to create a barrier to leaks under the tape when painting.

You can find it at the various big home stores.

kj

zog139 05-16-2011 01:16 PM

IMHO the frog tape does not work well at all for painting rockets, especially if you’re using to do a line between 2 different colors. Everybody has their favorite and some will tell you theirs is better than mine? I recommend the "Tamiya Yellow Tape" you find in your hobby store sometimes near the RC car bodies.

YMMV

Bill 05-16-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
IMHO the frog tape does not work well at all for painting rockets, especially if you’re using to do a line between 2 different colors. Everybody has their favorite and some will tell you theirs is better than mine? I recommend the "Tamiya Yellow Tape" you find in your hobby store sometimes near the RC car bodies.

I have had good results with Tamiya tape as well. The 6mm width can be had at Hobby Lobby.

Blue tape comes in two varieties, the one with the orange paper core is the better stuff for what we do.

Bill

motley16 05-18-2011 12:40 PM

frog tape is over rated stuff. use the blue tape with the orange core....that stuff is the bomb :chuckle:

Solomoriah 05-18-2011 08:33 PM

6mm tape... hmm. Gotta get me some of that.